Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Brian May

Default gitpkg with a quilt export hook

On 16 May 2012 19:45, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could use gitpkg with a quilt export hook. i use it regularly with
> imagemagick and it work perfectly (it is gitpkg over git over svn).

Out of curiosity, how do you use that and not have it include changes
to debian/* ? That appeared to me my problem trying to use this
method. Especially as some of my git commits change files both inside
and outside debian/*

Thanks
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Brian May
<brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> On 16 May 2012 19:45, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You could use gitpkg with a quilt export hook. i use it regularly with
>> imagemagick and it work perfectly (it is gitpkg over git over svn).
>
> Out of curiosity, how do you use that and not have it include changes
> to debian/* *? That appeared to me my problem trying to use this
> method. Especially as some of my git commits change files both inside
> and outside debian/*

Ok step for imagemagick
1. git svn fetch #retrieve recent svn commit
2. git checkout 9682bf563240ad971717554bab3f69f7252767f5 # git
revision for svn commit 7980 aka version 6.7.7.0
3. git checkout -b upstream/6.7.7.0 # create an upstream branch for
revision 6.7.7.0
4. rm -rf * # clean up directory tree
5. tar --strip 1 -xaf ../imagemagick_6.7.7.0.orig.tar.bz2 # extract origin
6. git add . # add everything
7. git commit -a -m "add uptream tar.bz2"
8. pristine-tar commit ../imagemagick_6.7.7.0.orig.tar.bz2
upstream/6.7.7.0 # use pristine tar
9. git checkout -b debian-patches/6.7.7.0-1
10. git checkout -b debian/6.7.7.0-1 # create new debian branch
11. git checkout debian/6.7.6.8-1 # checkout previous debian tree
12. git merge --no-commit upstream/6.7.7.0 # merge but without commiting
13. find ./* -path './debian' -prune -o -path './.git' -prune -o
-exec rm -rf '{}' + # remove all except debian and git
14. tar --strip 1 -xaf ../imagemagick_6.7.7.0.orig.tar.bz2 # use upstream
15. git add .
16. git commit -a -m 'merge with upstream' # emulate git theirs but safer

now do your change on debian on debian/6.7.7.0-1 branch and change on
other directory on debian-patches/6.7.7.0-1 (you could use cherry
pick for back port of upstream or reusing previous patch queue)

Bastien

Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Brian May

On 23 May 2012 23:31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok step for imagemagick

Thanks.

Just trying this out now. Anyway I can avoid gitpkg asking the
following question? I think No is the only correct answer when using
pristine-tar (it already replaced the file anyway), but I can't see
anyway of making gitpkg assume No without asking.

$ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1 upstream/2.4.5a
pristine-tar checkout ../deb-packages/dar/dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz
pristine-tar: successfully generated ../deb-packages/dar/dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz
git archive exporting debian/2.4.5a-1
preparing ../deb-packages/dar/dar-2.4.5a

You have requested 'upstream/2.4.5a' be exported,
but dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz is already present.
Overwrite the existing orig with this repo export (y/N)?
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Brian May
<brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> On 23 May 2012 23:31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok step for imagemagick
>
> Thanks.
>
> Just trying this out now. Anyway I can avoid gitpkg asking the
> following question? I think No is the only correct answer when using
> pristine-tar (it already replaced the file anyway), but I can't see
> anyway of making gitpkg assume No without asking.
>
> $ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1 upstream/2.4.5a
> pristine-tar checkout ../deb-packages/dar/dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz
> pristine-tar: successfully generated ../deb-packages/dar/dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz
> git archive exporting debian/2.4.5a-1
> preparing ../deb-packages/dar/dar-2.4.5a
>
> You have requested 'upstream/2.4.5a' be exported,
> but dar_2.4.5a.orig.tar.gz is already present.
> Overwrite the existing orig with this repo export (y/N)?

No it is spurious care to fill a bug ?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
James McCoy

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 01:54:23PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On 23 May 2012 23:31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok step for imagemagick
>
> Thanks.
>
> Just trying this out now. Anyway I can avoid gitpkg asking the
> following question? I think No is the only correct answer when using
> pristine-tar (it already replaced the file anyway), but I can't see
> anyway of making gitpkg assume No without asking.
>
> $ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1 upstream/2.4.5a

Drop the upstream branch.

$ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1

--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>

Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
David Bremner

Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> writes:

> On 16 May 2012 19:45, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You could use gitpkg with a quilt export hook. i use it regularly with
>> imagemagick and it work perfectly (it is gitpkg over git over svn).
>
> Out of curiosity, how do you use that and not have it include changes
> to debian/* ? That appeared to me my problem trying to use this
> method. Especially as some of my git commits change files both inside
> and outside debian/*

There is no magic in the included hook to detect or deal with such
commits. Since the method requires you to keep your commits on a
seperate branch which is rebased against upstream, I'd recommend
splitting the commits when you rebase.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
James McCoy

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 06:08:11AM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 01:54:23PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > On 23 May 2012 23:31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok step for imagemagick
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Just trying this out now. Anyway I can avoid gitpkg asking the
> > following question? I think No is the only correct answer when using
> > pristine-tar (it already replaced the file anyway), but I can't see
> > anyway of making gitpkg assume No without asking.
> >
> > $ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1 upstream/2.4.5a
>
> Drop the upstream branch.
>
> $ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1

Also, see gitpkg.force-overwrite-orig in gitpkg(1).

Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Brian May

On 24 May 2012 20:28, James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
>> Drop the upstream branch.
>>
>> $ gitpkg debian/2.4.5a-1

Ok, yes, that seems to do it. Thanks

I assumed that the upstream branch was required for
/usr/share/gitpkg/hooks/pristine-tar-pre-export-hook - however this
assumption was false. It looks like when using that hook, you
shouldn't specify an upstream version.

> Also, see gitpkg.force-overwrite-orig in gitpkg(1).

Setting that to False will result in gitpkg aborting instead of just
assuming an answer of No.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Brian May

On 23 May 2012 23:31, Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:
> 9. git checkout -b debian-patches/6.7.7.0-1
> 10. git checkout -b *debian/6.7.7.0-1 # create new debian branch

Just curious here, why do you create a new branch for every Debian
revision? Wouldn't it be better to create a branch for every upstream
revision, so you can track changes made between Debian revisions?

I think there are trade-offs here, just curious what your reasoning is.

Thanks
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 AM
David Bremner

Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> writes:

> On 24 May 2012 20:28, James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, see gitpkg.force-overwrite-orig in gitpkg(1).
>
> Setting that to False will result in gitpkg aborting instead of just
> assuming an answer of No.

In the next version of gitpkg, there may be a third setting of this
variable to assume an answer of No.