Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Dmitry Nezhevenko

Default future of python-pipeline package

Hi,

I'm trying to package a ReviewBoard package that depends on
django-pipeline module. Unfortunately there is already another package
named python-pipeline in debian that uses same python module name
(pipeline). This another package is orphaned for a year:

I've asked it's upstream and author is going to rename it to something
else:

http://code.google.com/p/python-pipeline/issues/detail?id=1

(btw I've also asked upstream of django-pipeline but without any luck for
now)

apt-cache rdepends shows nothing for current python-pipeline. Also popcon
shows only 48 installation without information about usage:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=python-pipeline

So I'm asking how to deal with it? django-pipeline looks like more popular
according to project github page and bugtracker.

Holger suggests to ask here and thinks that it's better to remove orphaned
pipeline package. Any ideas or suggestions?

--
WBR, Dmitry

Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Bastian Blank

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:57:07AM +0300, Dmitry Nezhevenko wrote:
> I'm trying to package a ReviewBoard package that depends on
> django-pipeline module. Unfortunately there is already another package
> named python-pipeline in debian that uses same python module name
> (pipeline). This another package is orphaned for a year:

And why does django-pipeline have problems with python-pipeline?

>From your description they don't overlap. python-pipeline installs a
python module calles pipeline (from the name); django-pipeline does not.

Bastian

--
If some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes, good and bad.
-- Commander Kor, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Dmitry Nezhevenko

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 06:04:27PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:57:07AM +0300, Dmitry Nezhevenko wrote:
> > I'm trying to package a ReviewBoard package that depends on
> > django-pipeline module. Unfortunately there is already another package
> > named python-pipeline in debian that uses same python module name
> > (pipeline). This another package is orphaned for a year:
>
> And why does django-pipeline have problems with python-pipeline?
>
> >From your description they don't overlap. python-pipeline installs a
> python module calles pipeline (from the name); django-pipeline does not.

both of them installs "pipeline" module (in terms of python "import
pipeline")

--
WBR, Dmitry

Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Dmitry Nezhevenko <dion@dion.org.ua>, 2012-05-16, 11:57:
[...]

How would the removal help?

With my upstream and ex-maintainer hats on, I'm fine with removing
python-pipeline from unstable. However, I object to another package
taking over the module name.

--
Jakub Wilk