Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Petter Reinholdtsen

Default Adding init.d dependencies mostly done, next step is testing (Was: Dependency based boot sequencing reaches 2/3 threshold)

I am happy to report that another mile stone for the release goal of
making it possible to enable dependency based boot sequencing is
reached.

98% of all packages with init.d scripts now have dependency
information in Sid. Most of the remaining 17 packages are being
removed from the archive, and will probably be fixed that way. All
base and desktop packages and include the dependency information. The
updated packages are propagating slowly into Lenny, allowing more
users to test dependency based boot sequencing.

Now the dependency information in the scripts need to be tested and
used to detect errors in them. Also, the Debian policy should be
updated to document that such headers should be included, and a text
proposal need to be written for this. Also, it would be nice to
adjust insserv to work with file-rc as well as the current
implementation handling sysv-rc. It would be useful to check
automatically all init.d scripts in the archive for dependency loops,
perhaps regularly.

I've used dependency based init.d sequencing in my sid chroot for
about a year now, and it has worked just fine. To test it yourself,
see the talk I gave at at Debconf, linked in from the status wiki
page, <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot>.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen