Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Norbert Preining

Default problems with quilt and 3.0 (quilt) format again

Hi everyone,

can anyone explain the following:
# in a debian pacakge unpacked:

$ quilt push -a
Applying patch 01-desktop.patch
patching file poedit.desktop
Hunk #1 succeeded at 15 with fuzz 2 (offset 12 lines).

Now at patch 01-desktop.patch
$ # ok, that went fine
$ quilt pop -a
Removing patch 01-desktop.patch
Restoring poedit.desktop

No patches applied
$ # that, too, now try to build a package
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -S
dpkg-buildpackage: source package poedit
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.4.99.20120515-0.1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Norbert Preining <preining@debian.org>
dpkg-source --before-build poedit-1.4.99.20120515
dpkg-source: info: using options from poedit-1.4.99.20120515/debian/source/options: --extend-diff-ignore=src/compiled_xrc.cpp$
fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testroot
dh_testdir
dh_clean
dpkg-source -b poedit-1.4.99.20120515
dpkg-source: info: using options from poedit-1.4.99.20120515/debian/source/options: --extend-diff-ignore=src/compiled_xrc.cpp$
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building poedit using existing ./poedit_1.4.99.20120515.orig.tar.gz
patching file poedit.desktop
Hunk #1 FAILED at 3.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file poedit.desktop.rej
dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -g0 -E -b -B .pc/01-desktop.patch/ < poedit-1.4.99.20120515.orig.4fke5b/debian/patches/01-desktop.patch gave error exit status 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b poedit-1.4.99.20120515 gave error exit status 2
$ #ouch

Why is packaging with quilt sooooo complicated?!?!

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Clint Adams

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 07:59:38AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> can anyone explain the following:
> # in a debian pacakge unpacked:
>
> $ quilt push -a
> Applying patch 01-desktop.patch
> patching file poedit.desktop
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 15 with fuzz 2 (offset 12 lines).

dpkg-source is more intolerant of fuzz than quilt itself.
Run quilt refresh on the patch and it should be happier.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Norbert Preining

Hi Clint,

thanks a lot or the answer.

On Mo, 14 Mai 2012, Clint Adams wrote:
> dpkg-source is more intolerant of fuzz than quilt itself.
> Run quilt refresh on the patch and it should be happier.

Argggg ... is this on purpose? Or by chance? Or to drive
developers crazy?

No, an answer "it is written down there on page 17 of the man page"
is *not* acceptable.

For these kind of things the expected behaviour is that quilt and
dpkg-source behave the same way, and if not, dpkg-source should
warn or whatever.

Well, I will surely forget it and search around quite some time
again the next time.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
"Bernhard R. Link"

* Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> [120515 01:10]:
> For these kind of things the expected behaviour is that quilt and
> dpkg-source behave the same way, and if not, dpkg-source should
> warn or whatever.

I think the patched debian source format should not depend on what
quilt does but be sensible within itself. Requiring patched being
able to applied without any magic (which might hide mistakes and
result in changes different from the intended ones) is a reasonable
thing to do.

Bernhard R. Link

Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> * Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> [120515 01:10]:
>> For these kind of things the expected behaviour is that quilt and
>> dpkg-source behave the same way, and if not, dpkg-source should
>> warn or whatever.
>
> I think the patched debian source format should not depend on what
> quilt does but be sensible within itself. Requiring patched being
> able to applied without any magic (which might hide mistakes and
> result in changes different from the intended ones) is a reasonable
> thing to do.
>
> Bernhard R. Link

The error message could be better though. dpkg-source could try if magic
(fuzz) helps and then complain about the patch being fuzzy etc...

MfG
Goswin

Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Luca Capello

Hi there!

On Tue, 15 May 2012 01:10:19 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mo, 14 Mai 2012, Clint Adams wrote:
>> dpkg-source is more intolerant of fuzz than quilt itself.
>> Run quilt refresh on the patch and it should be happier.
>
> Argggg ... is this on purpose? Or by chance? Or to drive
> developers crazy?
>
> No, an answer "it is written down there on page 17 of the man page"
> is *not* acceptable.

JFTR, the documentation bug was fixed in dpkg_1.16.3:

<http://bugs.debian.org/666752>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca