Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
"Theodore Ts'o"

Default udeb and data.tar.xz files?

I'm very confused about what the status is regarding udeb and
data.tar.xz. Are they allowed or not? It seems at the moment that
dh_builddeb is creating them by default, and lintian is complaining that
this is an error.

I've done a search through the web and debian-devel and it looks like
things are in transition. That is, there are people hoping that the
udeb infrastruction will support xz compression, and even an assertion
that the lintian complaint is not obsolete and those references *appear*
newer than references to the udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball error.

Or I could be conservative and hard code something explicit in
debian/rules to force dh_builddeb to pass -Zgzip to dpkg-deb, but that
will be ugly, and risks being obsolete at some point.

Can someone tell me what's up, and ideally update the text at:

http://lintian.debian.org/tags/udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball.html

... so developers can know what to do?

Many thanks,

- Ted

Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-05-14 21:16, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I'm very confused about what the status is regarding udeb and
> data.tar.xz. Are they allowed or not? It seems at the moment that
> dh_builddeb is creating them by default, and lintian is complaining that
> this is an error.
>
> I've done a search through the web and debian-devel and it looks like
> things are in transition. That is, there are people hoping that the
> udeb infrastruction will support xz compression, and even an assertion
> that the lintian complaint is not obsolete and those references *appear*
> newer than references to the udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball error.
>
> Or I could be conservative and hard code something explicit in
> debian/rules to force dh_builddeb to pass -Zgzip to dpkg-deb, but that
> will be ugly, and risks being obsolete at some point.
>
> Can someone tell me what's up, and ideally update the text at:
>
> http://lintian.debian.org/tags/udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball.html
>
> ... so developers can know what to do?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> - Ted

Hi,

Lintian is outdated (#664600) and the fix has been commited to the git
repository[1]

~Niels

[1]

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=lintian/lintian.git;a=commitdiff;h=ec4e5cbf5ceea35db5948be 21d3b03d696607b0f

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Ted Ts'o

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:51:43PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Lintian is outdated (#664600) and the fix has been commited to the git
> repository[1]

I saw a bug report requesting that packages that failed the lintian
udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball check should be summarily rejected.
Did this actually get implemeted on the ftp server? i.e., do I need
to wait until the new version of lintian gets propgated out to the
debian servers, or if I'm in a hurry, hack dh_builddeb to generate a
udeb that doesn't use data.tar.xz?

I just want to know what my options are.

Thanks,

- Ted

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Julien Cristau

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 15:16:15 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Can someone tell me what's up, and ideally update the text at:
>
> http://lintian.debian.org/tags/udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball.html
>
> ... so developers can know what to do?

debhelper switched to xz for udebs yesterday, udpkg supports unpacking
them since 1.13. I assume the next lintian version will drop that
error.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2012-05-14 22:01, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:51:43PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
>>
>> Lintian is outdated (#664600) and the fix has been commited to the git
>> repository[1]
>
> I saw a bug report requesting that packages that failed the lintian
> udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball check should be summarily rejected.
> Did this actually get implemeted on the ftp server? i.e., do I need
> to wait until the new version of lintian gets propgated out to the
> debian servers, or if I'm in a hurry, hack dh_builddeb to generate a
> udeb that doesn't use data.tar.xz?
>
> I just want to know what my options are.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ted

Hi,

To be honest, I was my understanding the auto-reject had been
temporarily disabled. However, according to [1] it appears to still be
active.

If you are in a hurry, dh_builddeb should work. Otherwise, I believe
the ftp-masters can manually accept a package that would have been rejected.

~Niels

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/static/lintian.tags

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Julien Cristau

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 16:01:31 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:

> I saw a bug report requesting that packages that failed the lintian
> udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball check should be summarily rejected.
> Did this actually get implemeted on the ftp server? i.e., do I need
> to wait until the new version of lintian gets propgated out to the
> debian servers, or if I'm in a hurry, hack dh_builddeb to generate a
> udeb that doesn't use data.tar.xz?
>
> I just want to know what my options are.

A package with that tag would currently be rejected. That doesn't need
a new lintian release to be fixed, though, just an ftpmaster removing it
from http://ftp-master.debian.org/static/lintian.tags

Cheers,
Julien

Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Philipp Kern

Ted,

am Mon, May 14, 2012 at 04:01:31PM -0400 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:51:43PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> >
> > Lintian is outdated (#664600) and the fix has been commited to the git
> > repository[1]
>
> I saw a bug report requesting that packages that failed the lintian
> udeb-uses-non-gzip-data-tarball check should be summarily rejected.
> Did this actually get implemeted on the ftp server? i.e., do I need
> to wait until the new version of lintian gets propgated out to the
> debian servers, or if I'm in a hurry, hack dh_builddeb to generate a
> udeb that doesn't use data.tar.xz?
>
> I just want to know what my options are.

as soon as we get a hold of an ftp-master the autoreject will be dropped.
We'll certainly don't wait until Lintian is backported. ;-)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Ted Ts'o

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:20:08PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:

> as soon as we get a hold of an ftp-master the autoreject will be dropped.
> We'll certainly don't wait until Lintian is backported. ;-)

Great, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of

http://ftp-master.debian.org/static/lintian.tags

as how the auto-reject was configured, so I didn't know how to check
on my own or that it would be really easy to fix.

I'll wait until that gets fixed up and upload my updated packages
then.

Thanks again,

- Ted

Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Mark Hymers

On Mon, 14, May, 2012 at 04:29:09PM -0400, Ted Ts'o spoke thus..
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:20:08PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> >
> > as soon as we get a hold of an ftp-master the autoreject will be dropped.
> > We'll certainly don't wait until Lintian is backported. ;-)
> >

> Great, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of
>
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/static/lintian.tags
>
> as how the auto-reject was configured, so I didn't know how to check
> on my own or that it would be really easy to fix.
>
> I'll wait until that gets fixed up and upload my updated packages
> then.

Done,

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"Don't you hate those Claims Direct adverts?
'I slipped on a banana skin and sued the Dominican Republic!'"
Linda Smith on the News Quiz talking about the Compensation Culture