Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Default debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Luk Claes

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/07/08 13:20, Luk Claes wrote:
>> Peter Jordan wrote:
>>> Luk Claes, 04/07/08 20:05:

>>> but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
>>> the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.
>> No, as that would imply that they are or at least will be official
>> Debian services and open the door for every archive provider to ask for
>> adding their key...
>
> Governments need silly all-encompassing rule sets to appear fair.
> Debian doesn't. IOW, adding debian-multimedia-keyring and
> debian-backports-keyring doesn't mean that you've got to add every
> other unofficial archive keyring, even though that archive's owner
> screams "that's not fair!".

Indeed, so we don't need to add these neither even though you scream
it's unfair :-)

There has to be a line somewhere and the current line makes sense to
everyone, so I don't need we will change it...

Cheers

Luk

Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Reinhard Tartler

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

>> Because they are third party repositories and not affiliated in any
>> official way with the Debian project.
>
> But these two repositories are very popular with users.

Which doesn't make them official. Better spend your time helping those
projects with becoming official!

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Holger Levsen

Hi,

On Monday 07 April 2008 19:57, Peter Jordan wrote:
> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
> in the official repository of debian?

I guess this was answered already in this thread :-)

> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
> these repositories.

No need to do this without a trust path at all, it just needs five easy and
documented steps to add those keys with a trust path, for the backports
archive see:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/HowTo/Administration#head-136bb7e75e07e8b6463e6b30761ac51776c5c27d

That said, I would appreciate debian-backports-archive-keyring package in
Debian main, just like there is a debian-edu-archive-keyring.

I wouldn't want a debian-multimedia-archive-keyring package in Debian (main),
as this archive doesnt promise to comply to the DFSG as the other three
archives do. Contrib would probably fine.

ITPs anyone?

regards,
Holger