Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Peter Jordan

Default debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?

Hi,

why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
in the official repository of debian?

At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
these repositories.

PJ

Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Luk Claes

Peter Jordan wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
> in the official repository of debian?
>
> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
> these repositories.

Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).

Cheers

Luk

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Peter Jordan

Luk Claes, 04/07/08 20:05:

> Peter Jordan wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi
>
>> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
>> in the official repository of debian?
>>
>> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
>> these repositories.
>
> Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).

but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

PJ

Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Luk Claes

Peter Jordan wrote:
> Luk Claes, 04/07/08 20:05:
>
>> Peter Jordan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>> Hi
>>
>>> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
>>> in the official repository of debian?
>>>
>>> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
>>> these repositories.
>> Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).
>>

> but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
> the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

No, as that would imply that they are or at least will be official
Debian services and open the door for every archive provider to ask for
adding their key...

Cheers

Luk

Old 04-07-2008, 06:23 PM
"Leo "costela" Antunes"

Peter Jordan wrote:

> but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
> the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

That may make some sense, but you do understand that by making them
available they wouldn't be any more official and any more trusted,
right? If we provide them as packages, it may be misunderstood for our
users as a recommendation, at best, which IMHO isn't worth the hassle.
Better to keep the key-adding just as manual as the sources.list editing.

This, of course, from the perspective that there is no official trust
relationship. If there is one that I'm unaware of, then by all means,
file an RFP!

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes