Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/)
-   -   debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/65733-debian-multimedia-keyring-debian-backports-keyring-official-debian-repository.html)

Peter Jordan 04-07-2008 05:57 PM

debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?
 
Hi,

why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
in the official repository of debian?

At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
these repositories.

PJ


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Luk Claes 04-07-2008 06:05 PM

debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?
 
Peter Jordan wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
> in the official repository of debian?
>
> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
> these repositories.

Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).

Cheers

Luk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Peter Jordan 04-07-2008 06:14 PM

debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?
 
Luk Claes, 04/07/08 20:05:

> Peter Jordan wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi
>
>> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
>> in the official repository of debian?
>>
>> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
>> these repositories.
>
> Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).
>

but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

PJ


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Luk Claes 04-07-2008 06:20 PM

debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?
 
Peter Jordan wrote:
> Luk Claes, 04/07/08 20:05:
>
>> Peter Jordan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>> Hi
>>
>>> why are the keyrings of debian-multimedia.org and debian backports not
>>> in the official repository of debian?
>>>
>>> At the moment you have to install untrusted keyrings before you can use
>>> these repositories.
>> Because they are no official Debian services (yet?).
>>
>
> but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
> the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

No, as that would imply that they are or at least will be official
Debian services and open the door for every archive provider to ask for
adding their key...

Cheers

Luk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Leo "costela" Antunes" 04-07-2008 06:23 PM

debian-multimedia-keyring/debian-backports-keyring in official debian repository?
 
Peter Jordan wrote:
>
> but the repositories does not need to be official debian services, only
> the keyrings should be available over the official debian repository.

That may make some sense, but you do understand that by making them
available they wouldn't be any more official and any more trusted,
right? If we provide them as packages, it may be misunderstood for our
users as a recommendation, at best, which IMHO isn't worth the hassle.
Better to keep the key-adding just as manual as the sources.list editing.

This, of course, from the perspective that there is no official trust
relationship. If there is one that I'm unaware of, then by all means,
file an RFP!

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.