Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default revised f9 wallpaper - workitems

Hi folks,

So here is what has to be done to get this new wallpaper into rawhide &
the release candidate:

1 - integrate hi-res (2560x1920) render of background [1] with the
sparkles svg [2] so they are the same size and line up. Export this.

2 - from the integrated 2560x1920 bitmap, create the 4 time-of-day
colors. Do this *before* proceeding to the next step so you can get
feedback before finding out after going thru all the resolution
iterations that the coloring/shading was off. Thus far we've heard a few
complaints that the proposed daylight one is way too bright.

3 - from the integrated 2560x1920 bitmap, iterate through to create a
full set of background sizes, cropping from the bottom when necessary to
achieve a widescreen ratio. Here are the sizes I think we should target
(let me know what you think):

Normal Ratio:
- 2560x1600
- 1600x1200
- 1024x768
- 800x600

Widescreen Ratio:
- 1680x1050
- 1440x900
- 1280x800

(do these seem right?)

I'm going to start working on this tonight but if you've got some spare
time today and want to help out please feel free to get started on steps
#1 and #2. I'll be in #fedora-art on freenode and also on list of course
so we can sync up tonight.

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Máirín Duffy

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hi folks,

So here is what has to be done to get this new wallpaper into rawhide &
the release candidate:

1 - integrate hi-res (2560x1920) render of background [1] with the
sparkles svg [2] so they are the same size and line up. Export this.

Would help if I provided them eh?

[1]
http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/hi-res/0008_2560x1920.png

[2]
http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-day-to-night/hi-res/sparkles-1.svg

Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Nicu Buculei

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Normal Ratio:
- 2560x1600

that one is widescreen

- 1600x1200
- 1024x768
- 800x600

Widescreen Ratio:
- 1680x1050
- 1440x900
- 1280x800

I believe there is also 1920x1200

(do these seem right?)

Currently we have in Rawhide also:
- 1280x1024 (a *lot* of people use this)
- 800x480 (Eee PC)

Do we need *all* those sizes? We can't have only the largest (1600x1200
for normal and 2560x1600 for wide) and let them be scaled down (as is
the case in F8)? Otherwise we waste a lot of disk space.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Mark

2008/4/7, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>

> > Normal Ratio:
> > - 2560x1600
> >

> that one is widescreen
>

> > - 1600x1200
> > - 1024x768
> > - 800x600
> >
> > Widescreen Ratio:
> > - 1680x1050
> > - 1440x900
> > - 1280x800
> >

> I believe there is also 1920x1200
>

> > (do these seem right?)
> >

> Currently we have in Rawhide also:
> - 1280x1024 (a *lot* of people use this)
> - 800x480 (Eee PC)
>
> Do we need *all* those sizes? We can't have only the largest (1600x1200 for
> normal and 2560x1600 for wide) and let them be scaled down (as is the case
> in F8)? Otherwise we waste a lot of disk space.

The sizes you posted seem right to me..
But about the sizes.. Nautilus can handly SVG backgrounds so why not
put that one in the dist? then you can drop all the other images..
unless that's not gonna work with day/night wallpapers (fancy and nice
but not really useful anyway).

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Máirín Duffy

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Normal Ratio:
- 2560x1600

that one is widescreen

Whoops I meant 2560x1920! good catch.

- 1600x1200
- 1024x768
- 800x600

Widescreen Ratio:
- 1680x1050
- 1440x900
- 1280x800

I believe there is also 1920x1200

(do these seem right?)

Currently we have in Rawhide also:
- 1280x1024 (a *lot* of people use this)
- 800x480 (Eee PC)

+1

Do we need *all* those sizes? We can't have only the largest (1600x1200
for normal and 2560x1600 for wide) and let them be scaled down (as is
the case in F8)? Otherwise we waste a lot of disk space.

Well, I'm not sure. For Live CDs I think 2560x1920 (~2-3MB) is going to
be too much. Maybe we should pick the largest sane widescreen + normal
and then just let folks scale down from that? Nautilus' scaling down of
the wallpaper does a very good job IMHO.

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Mark,

Mark wrote:

The sizes you posted seem right to me..
But about the sizes.. Nautilus can handly SVG backgrounds so why not
put that one in the dist? then you can drop all the other images..
unless that's not gonna work with day/night wallpapers (fancy and nice
but not really useful anyway).

I don't think Nautilus can handle the blur filter in the backgrounds.
Also I still think librsvg doesn't support the SVG cropping
functionality (for widescreen)

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

You can put in package largest square and wide wpaps and on package
installation call imagemagick to scale them down to different sizes

http://scwlab.com

Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Máirín Duffy

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

You can put in package largest square and wide wpaps and on package
installation call imagemagick to scale them down to different sizes

Does imagemagick support the SVG blur filter?

~m

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

>From package description:
ImageMagick can read and write JPEG, TIFF, PNM, GIF,
and Photo CD image formats

I meant to package ridiculously large PNGs with different aspect
ratios, then scale them down

http://scwlab.com

Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Máirín Duffy

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

From package description:

ImageMagick can read and write JPEG, TIFF, PNM, GIF,
and Photo CD image formats

I meant to package ridiculously large PNGs with different aspect
ratios, then scale them down

Oh okay. I don't know if we have much room for the ~2-3 MB initial image
we'd need to ship on the LiveCD but I can ask. That's a great idea
though, thanks!

~m