Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Patrick Ouellette

Default debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:48:02AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:

> Why so? If I make a copy for backup and want to use it, how would I do
> that without use of decss or similar? Or is making a backup copy no
> legitimate use anymore?

You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to do
is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the arguments
against decss are/were less than intelligent.

Pat

Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Chris Knadle

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 16:11:00, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:48:02AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > Why so? If I make a copy for backup and want to use it, how would I do
> > that without use of decss or similar? Or is making a backup copy no
> > legitimate use anymore?
>
> You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to do
> is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the
> arguments against decss are/were less than intelligent.

That depends on whether the DVD will fit onto the media its to be burnt to.
If the DVD needs to be resampled in order to get it to fit onto the burnt
media, then you need to be able to decypher it to be able to do that.

It's sad to hear that d-m.o has caused some upgrade trouble. I've yet to
encounter this myself (that I know of).

It would be nice to have some clear instructions on how to set up a Pin to
lower the priority in apt for d-m.o packages. Will the following do the
trick?

Package: *
Pin: origin "www.debian-multimedia.org"
Pin-Priority: 100

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:11:00PM -0400, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:48:02AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> >
> > Why so? If I make a copy for backup and want to use it, how would I do
> > that without use of decss or similar? Or is making a backup copy no
> > legitimate use anymore?
> >

> You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to do
> is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the arguments
> against decss are/were less than intelligent.

DVD-CCA was not that stupid. Consumer writable DVD media does not
allow you to write the disc keys, so you cannot make a simple copy
that is readable by an authorised DVD player.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM
David Prévot

Hi,

Le 15/03/2012 20:20, Chris Knadle a écrit :

> It would be nice to have some clear instructions on how to set up a Pin to
> lower the priority in apt for d-m.o packages. Will the following do the
> trick?
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin "www.debian-multimedia.org"
> Pin-Priority: 100

Please, prefer advise the following:

Package: *
Pin: release l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: 100

That will also work for any mirror and other specific configurations
using apt-cacher, apt-cacher-ng, etc.

Regards

David

Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Patrick Ouellette

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:21:14AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:11:00PM -0400, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:48:02AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > >
> > > Why so? If I make a copy for backup and want to use it, how would I do
> > > that without use of decss or similar? Or is making a backup copy no
> > > legitimate use anymore?
> > >

> > You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to do
> > is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the arguments
> > against decss are/were less than intelligent.
>
> DVD-CCA was not that stupid. Consumer writable DVD media does not
> allow you to write the disc keys, so you cannot make a simple copy
> that is readable by an authorised DVD player.

That may be the theory, but the real world implementation seems to be a little
different. I have not heard of anyone having a problem using a block copy
to backup a commercially produced consumer DVD to consumer writable DVD media.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Patrick Ouellette

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:20:22PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2012 16:11:00, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:48:02AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > > Why so? If I make a copy for backup and want to use it, how would I do
> > > that without use of decss or similar? Or is making a backup copy no
> > > legitimate use anymore?
> >
> > You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to do
> > is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the
> > arguments against decss are/were less than intelligent.
>
> That depends on whether the DVD will fit onto the media its to be burnt to.
> If the DVD needs to be resampled in order to get it to fit onto the burnt
> media, then you need to be able to decypher it to be able to do that.

Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since you
are throwing away information contained in the original.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Chris Knadle

On Friday, March 16, 2012 13:13:30, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:20:22PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD. All you have to
> > > do is a block copy of the media. That is just one of the reasons the
> > > arguments against decss are/were less than intelligent.
> >
> > That depends on whether the DVD will fit onto the media its to be burnt
> > to. If the DVD needs to be resampled in order to get it to fit onto the
> > burnt media, then you need to be able to decypher it to be able to do
> > that.
>
> Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since you
> are throwing away information contained in the original.

That may be, but some source media is > 8 GB such that a direct copy cannot be
made onto even a dual-layer DVD, so resampling is the only option if a
"backup" (as far as the layman is concerned) is to be made. That this
procedure becomes a derivative work simply illustrates one of the areas where
d.o and d-m.o philosophically diverge even though both share common ground in
trying to support a universal operating system.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Thomas Goirand

On 03/17/2012 03:16 AM, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Friday, March 16, 2012 13:13:30, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
>
>> Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since you
>> are throwing away information contained in the original.
>>
> That may be, but some source media is > 8 GB such that a direct copy cannot be
> made onto even a dual-layer DVD, so resampling is the only option if a
> "backup" (as far as the layman is concerned) is to be made. That this
> procedure becomes a derivative work simply illustrates one of the areas where
> d.o and d-m.o philosophically diverge even though both share common ground in
> trying to support a universal operating system.

I thought that there was some writable DVD 9 available
on the market. Did I dream?

Also, why not writing the DVD image on your HDD?

Thomas

P.S: You can buy DVDs on the street for 0.5 EUR here, which is
a major contribution to the film industry...
I'd be a useless loss of time to do backups of these.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Jon Dowland

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 04:30:35AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Also, why not writing the DVD image on your HDD?

How'd you loan that to a friend?

What exactly are you arguing: that someone should never need to resample a DVD?

--
Jon Dowland

Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Romain Beauxis

2012/3/11 Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:16:47AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:

> > > I think this demonstrates a lack of understanding about non-US. Â*non-US
> > > was for things that could be legally used everywhere, but could not be
> > > *exported* from the US without serious hassle. Â*non-US was *not* for
> > > things which could not legally be used in the US.
> >
> > Old non-US did, yeah. Â*The new need for geographically limited distribution
> > has different rules.
> >
> > > And I would like to point out, for the record, that it is not only the
> > > US that has stupid laws. Â*Yes, we certainly have more than our share,
> > > but, for example, Germany has stupid laws that prevent certain video
> > > games from being played,
> >
> > Yet I don't see [Free]Doom excluded from Debian while decss is. Â*That's the
> > big difference here.
> >
> > > and Australia also has stupid video game laws that could be interpreted as
> > > being binding against Debian.
> >
> > And Debian carries, say, Nethack, which has a sex scene (several lines of
> > text, but still...).
> >
> > > I'm sure that every country has laws which are problematic; don't blame it
> > > all on the US.
> >
> > When the totem law of Kbanga declares that displaying any words with two
> > consonant clusters is illegal on Fridays, the rest of the world doesn't
> > suffer. Â*Being able to pop in a DVD and play it is something an average
> > person takes for granted. Â*If oppressive laws in a single country stop a
> > good part of multimedia functionality, why should that functionality be
> > taken away from everyone else?
>
> The problem is: decss is illegal in very much more than just the US.
> This is a very different situation.

Orly? Do you know of any law and/or court case backing this assertion?

Romain