Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
"Martin Schröder"

Default too many conflicts/replaces

Hi,
I'm trying to create a package that will when installed automatically
replace all TeX packages on the system with our version of TeX.
Unfortunately (in this case) the debian TeX system consists of more
than 10 packages so a naive approach via Conflicts/Replaces fails
because the package can not be installed because it has too many
C/Rs. Is there a better way to circumvent this then by introducing a
number of (dummy) sub-packages that have <= 10 C/Rs?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM
"Nikita V. Youshchenko"

Martin Schr?der wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a package that will when installed automatically
> replace all TeX packages on the system with our version of TeX.
> Unfortunately (in this case) the debian TeX system consists of more
> than 10 packages so a naive approach via Conflicts/Replaces fails
> because the package can not be installed because it has too many
> C/Rs. Is there a better way to circumvent this then by introducing a
> number of (dummy) sub-packages that have <= 10 C/Rs?

Don't all debian tex packages depend, directly or indirectly, on tetex-base
or texlive-base? You probably could create your own -base package that
conflicts with those, and then pre-depend on it?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
"Martin Schröder"

2008/4/4, Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org>:
> Martin Schr?der wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a package that will when installed automatically
> > replace all TeX packages on the system with our version of TeX.
>
> Don't all debian tex packages depend, directly or indirectly, on tetex-base
> or texlive-base? You probably could create your own -base package that
> conflicts with those, and then pre-depend on it?

And then I'd get a conflict when installing that package. :-( I don't want
any additional user interaction.

Best
Martin

Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
"Nikita V. Youshchenko"

> 2008/4/4, Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org>:
> > Martin Schr?der wrote:
> > > I'm trying to create a package that will when installed
> > > automatically replace all TeX packages on the system with our
> > > version of TeX.
> >
> > Don't all debian tex packages depend, directly or indirectly, on
> > tetex-base or texlive-base? You probably could create your own -base
> > package that conflicts with those, and then pre-depend on it?
>
> And then I'd get a conflict when installing that package.

Why?

Won't apt-get/aptitude handle proper removal/installation actions for you?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
"Nikita V. Youshchenko"

> > > And then I'd get a conflict when installing that package.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Won't apt-get/aptitude handle proper removal/installation actions for
> > you?
>
> If I do this:
> ------------
> Conflicts: texlive-common
> ------------
> I get this:
> ------------
> docscape@dsp:~$ LANG=C sudo dpkg --dry-run -i
> /tmp/qstex-1.0.0-4-i386.deb dpkg: regarding /tmp/qstex-1.0.0-4-i386.deb
> containing qstex:
> qstex conflicts with texlive-common
> texlive-common (version 2007-10) is present and installed.
> dpkg: error processing /tmp/qstex-1.0.0-4-i386.deb (--install):
> conflicting packages - not installing qstex

Sure.
Try istead this:

- mkdir /var/lib/packages

- copy all your debs to /var/lib/packages

- (cd /var/lib/packages && dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null >Packages)
ignore any messages about missing packages in override file

- add 'deb file:/var/lib/packages/' to /etc/apt/sources.list

- apt-get update

- try installing your packages with apt-get install

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Frank Küster

Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush <at> debian.org> writes:

> > > Don't all debian tex packages depend, directly or indirectly, on
> > > tetex-base or texlive-base? You probably could create your own -base
> > > package that conflicts with those, and then pre-depend on it?

(Just kind-of-back from vacation, and I don't know whether this has been
discussed on debian-texmaint)

No, tetex-base is an empty package which hopefully can be removed before lenny
is released, and texlive packages depend on texlive-base-bin which also provides
the tex and pdftex binaries.

> > And then I'd get a conflict when installing that package.
>
> Why?
>
> Won't apt-get/aptitude handle proper removal/installation actions for you?

I think it would. Unless Martin actually wants a parallel installation? Maybe
dpkg's diversions would help here?

Martin, which files do you need to replace except the binary and pool files?

Regards, Frank

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
"Martin Schröder"

2008/4/8, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>:
> I think it would. Unless Martin actually wants a parallel installation? Maybe
> dpkg's diversions would help here?
>
> Martin, which files do you need to replace except the binary and pool files?

It now works. :-)
My fault was to use only dpkg -i and not install from a local repo
(I'm used to rpm). Thanks to Nikita for pointing that out to me.

Best
Martin