Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Wouter Verhelst

Default Need old Packages.gz and Release Files

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 03:35:57PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had an accident on my Debian-Archiv-Server and unfortunatly the
> files "Packages.gz", "Packages.bz2", "Sources.gz", "Sources.bz2" and
> "Release" from the directories
>
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/main/binary-${ARCH}/
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/main/sources/
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/contrib/binary-${ARCH}/
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/contrib/sources/
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/non-free/binary-${ARCH}/
> /debian/dists/${RELEASE}/non-free/sources/
>
> deleted. The special is, that I have ALL Releases where ${RELEASES} is
> like:
>
> potato: 2.2r0 bis 2.2r5 => 6 Releases
> woody: 3.0r0 bis 3.0r6 => 7 Releases
> sarge: 3.1r0 bis 3.1r7 => 8 Releases
> etch: 4.0r0 bis 4.0r2 => 3 Releases
>
> Does anyone has this files? (e.g from the original CD's)

Can't you fetch them from snapshot.debian.net?

-- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22

Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:52:06PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:44:38PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Neat project. I am not sure why being able to install 3.0r3 rather than
> > 3.0r6 is necesarily very useful, but it is neat to have the choice.
>
> To have reproducibility of installations, where such is necessary (e.g.,
> software escrow situations).

Why not clone the whole disk on install and escrow the whole image?

Doug.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 AM

By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
week of Diffs. It seems every time I get back from a trip, I end up
uploading the whole Packages.gz file again. Two weeks worth would be better.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Mikhail Gusarov

Twas brillig at 10:56:18 25.04.2008 UTC+08 when jidanni@jidanni.org did gyre and gimble:

j> By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
j> week of Diffs. It seems every time I get back from a trip, I end up
j> uploading the whole Packages.gz file again. Two weeks worth would be
j> better.

...for you.

Think about two-week trips, three-week trips, month-long vacations,
three-months-long vacations, round-the-world trips... Won't this result
in keeping whole year of diffs?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Thomas Weber

Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 13:16 +0700 schrieb Mikhail Gusarov:
> Twas brillig at 10:56:18 25.04.2008 UTC+08 when jidanni@jidanni.org did gyre and gimble:
>
> j> By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
> j> week of Diffs. It seems every time I get back from a trip, I end up
> j> uploading the whole Packages.gz file again. Two weeks worth would be
> j> better.
>
> ...for you.
>
> Think about two-week trips, three-week trips, month-long vacations,
> three-months-long vacations, round-the-world trips... Won't this result
> in keeping whole year of diffs?

No, you can the take the combined size of all diffs as an upper bound.
If it becomes larger than the current Packages.gz file, it's time to
drop older diffs.

Thomas

Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 03:35:57PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I have had an accident on my Debian-Archiv-Server and unfortunatly the
> files "Packages.gz", "Packages.bz2", "Sources.gz", "Sources.bz2" and
> "Release" from the directories

Neat project. I'm jumping into it with a question which unfortunately is
not solving your problem.

You are asking generically Packages without specifying a mirror. Are
they granted to be identically replicated among all mirrors? Of course
they *probably* are due to how mirroring works, but is it *granted* that
there are no differences among mirrors?

Would such difference inhibit proper installation due to the apt-secure
stuff?

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? / All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema / right keys at the right time

Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Eric Cooper

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:07:51PM +0800, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> You are asking generically Packages without specifying a mirror. Are
> they granted to be identically replicated among all mirrors? Of course
> they *probably* are due to how mirroring works, but is it *granted* that
> there are no differences among mirrors?
>
> Would such difference inhibit proper installation due to the apt-secure
> stuff?

The Release file contains strong checksums of the Packages files, and
it is signed with the Debian Archive key. Both of these are checked
when apt does updates and installs. So as long as there are no keys
from rogue repositories in apt's keyring, it should be fine.

--
Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Eric Cooper

Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Gunnar Wolf

Thomas Weber dijo [Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:25:04AM +0200]:
> > j> By the way, it would be great if the mirrors kept more than just a
> > j> week of Diffs. It seems every time I get back from a trip, I end up
> > j> uploading the whole Packages.gz file again. Two weeks worth would be
> > j> better.
> >
> > ...for you.
> >
> > Think about two-week trips, three-week trips, month-long vacations,
> > three-months-long vacations, round-the-world trips... Won't this result
> > in keeping whole year of diffs?
>
> No, you can the take the combined size of all diffs as an upper bound.
> If it becomes larger than the current Packages.gz file, it's time to
> drop older diffs.

Diffs are often quite small. The time needed to establish a connection
is often comparable to the time a diff takes to be downloaded... So,
even with pipelining and all, storing too many diffs becomes
irrelevant.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973 F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF