Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
"Joe Smith"

Default triggers wishlist

"Michael Biebl" <biebl@debian.org> wrote in message
news:47F2FC19.5020001@debian.org...

I guess Joss is right here. triggers tell you *if* something has changed

>(in a subdirectory), but not *what*.

Remember, that we have to call
gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/$subdir
for the directory that has changed.

Michael

How expensive is running gtk-update-ican-cache? I mean, it would be easy
enough to have a script run
that runs "gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/$subdir" for each of the
subdirectories. Then the /usr/share/icons
trigger would just run that script.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Josselin Mouette

On mer, 2008-04-02 at 21:07 -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> How expensive is running gtk-update-ican-cache? I mean, it would be easy
> enough to have a script run
> that runs "gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/$subdir" for each of the
> subdirectories. Then the /usr/share/icons
> trigger would just run that script.

It takes a few seconds for a big icon theme on a fast machine, but as it
must read all icons in the directories, it can easily turn out slower.

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Ian Jackson

Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: triggers wishlist"):
> On mer, 2008-04-02 at 21:07 -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> > How expensive is running gtk-update-ican-cache? I mean, it would be easy
> > enough to have a script run
> > that runs "gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/$subdir" for each of the
> > subdirectories. Then the /usr/share/icons
> > trigger would just run that script.
>
> It takes a few seconds for a big icon theme on a fast machine, but as it
> must read all icons in the directories, it can easily turn out slower.

Would a timestamp check help ? You can have several triggers of
course but the triggers system is not designed to have very many of
them. If you expect to have a dozen icons subdirs eventually then a
trigger for each one would be overkill.

Also, if you have only one trigger you can know that dpkg won't call
your postinst for triggers more than once unnecessaarily.

Ian.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Agustin Martin

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:31:36AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 30-Mar-08, 15:25 (CDT), Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > dpkg in experimental supports triggers now, and in many cases trigger
> > support can be added to packages without creating a hard dependency on
> > a new version of dpkg.
> >
> > Things I want to see use triggers, in approximate priority order:
>
> The various emacsen-related packages seem to cause multiple re-compiles
> during a single install run. It's not terribly slow, but it's sort of
> annoying.

[cc'ing debian-emacsen so people is aware of this thread]

I am not sure triggers are the right tool here, byte-recompilation can be
enabled by any of package-with-lisp or emacs-package upgrade/install.
emacs packages have no way of knowing at build time which packages-with-lisp
are to be installed, so I am not sure which would be the right triggers.
However, if there is a clean way of using triggers for this I would be
happy to be corrected.

On the other hand the main problem is, as others have pointed out, due to
the noise produced by the lack of a -no-init-file opton. Same byte-compilation
is done twice as much, and sometimes is done just once.

In the meantime I have been experimenting with a different approach. I think
the multiple byte-compilation problem can also be addressed with minor
changes in current behavior, something as shown below in some sort of
pseudo-code. '+' stands for the additional stuff

emacsen-remove: (Run from prerm)
remove elcdir and its contents

emacsen-install: (Run from postinst)
set -e
+ if -e elcdir/done
+ skip
+ else
create elcdir
Byte-compile files to elc dir
+ touch elcdir/done
+ fi

So if byte-compilation succeeds a 'done' file is touched and its presence
can be used as a proof of that, so byte-compilation is not retried. On
package or emacs upgrade the elcdir is removed, so byte-complation is tried
again.

--
Agustin

Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Colin Watson

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:25:15PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Things I want to see use triggers, in approximate priority order:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=133917 (man-db) can at
long last be fixed with a trigger. I had a tested patch for this a
little while back, which I'll dust off and upload.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe"