Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Default file path length in .deb package.

Hi there,

After reading the documentation of 'man deb' I cannot see any
reference to any arbitrary length for filename in a deb package. For
instance I have filepath (including sub directories) that reach ~100
characters. the tar format completely support that, but I am having
some weird issue on my debian etch amd64 box. I have created a package
where all files with long filepaths simply don't get installed (while
being accessible using ar xvf + tar xvfz data.tgz).

Let me know if this is a known issue.

Mathieu

Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 17:46 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > After reading the documentation of 'man deb' I cannot see any
> > reference to any arbitrary length for filename in a deb package. For
> > instance I have filepath (including sub directories) that reach ~100
> > characters. the tar format completely support that, but I am having
> > some weird issue on my debian etch amd64 box. I have created a package
> > where all files with long filepaths simply don't get installed (while
> > being accessible using ar xvf + tar xvfz data.tgz).
> >
> > Let me know if this is a known issue.
>
> Please consult the "Debian bug tracking system".

wow ! Thanks, may I ask what you did during the 1s you spare not
copy/pasting the bug number. You're loosing everyone time:
- mine (obviously)
- yours in answering such a lame response
- anyone else that will find my post after a google search

Anyway I did search on google for a *while* before posting, and could
not find anything. I did repeat the search again for the last 15min:

long filename dpkg site:bugs.debian.org

long apt site:bugs.debian.org

long dpkg site:bugs.debian.org

It returned only one bug, but that was solved in 2002:

Could you *please* give me the bug number,

Thanks
--
Mathieu

Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Mark Brown

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:43:47PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Could you *please* give me the bug number,

If you can't find a relevant bug you should report a new one (anyone can
do so). See:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

for instructions on how to do this manually or there is a tool called
'reportbug' in the reportbug package which will automate the process.