Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Russ Allbery

Default Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Show us where mime-support is a required part in policy and then we can
> talk again.

Policy 9.7 currently says that it's a bug to not support mime-support:

Packages which provide the ability to view/show/play, compose, edit or
print MIME types should register themselves as such following the
current MIME support policy.

and:

In the normative part of this manual, the words must, should and may,
and the adjectives required, recommended and optional, are used to
distinguish the significance of the various guidelines in this policy
document. Packages that do not conform to the guidelines denoted by
must (or required) will generally not be considered acceptable for the
Debian distribution. Non-conformance with guidelines denoted by
should (or recommended) will generally be considered a bug, but will
not necessarily render a package unsuitable for distribution.

So it depends on your definition of "required," I suppose.

Anyway, I think this discussion is painful and not likely to change
anyone's mind, whereas the necessary glue between desktop files and
mime-support looks like a couple of days of work. I'm currently playing
with the idea of writing a spec and posting it to Planet Debian asking
someone with the skill and some free time to implement it.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Michael Biebl

On 02.02.2012 21:58, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Anyway, I think this discussion is painful and not likely to change
> anyone's mind, whereas the necessary glue between desktop files and
> mime-support looks like a couple of days of work. I'm currently playing
> with the idea of writing a spec and posting it to Planet Debian asking
> someone with the skill and some free time to implement it.

That would be very much appreciated.
And btw, thanks a lot for staying technical in this whole discussion!

I've reassigned #658139 to general.

I guess it would make sense to discuss further technical details there
or at least keep it updated with the outcome of your blog posting?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Andreas Tille

Hi Russ,

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:58:03PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Show us where mime-support is a required part in policy and then we can
> > talk again.
>
> Policy 9.7 currently says that it's a bug to not support mime-support:

Many thanks for always bringing discussions to some reasonable state by
sticking to pure facts.

> Anyway, I think this discussion is painful and not likely to change
> anyone's mind, whereas the necessary glue between desktop files and
> mime-support looks like a couple of days of work. I'm currently playing
> with the idea of writing a spec and posting it to Planet Debian asking
> someone with the skill and some free time to implement it.

It might make sense to mention #658139 in this spec which is now
assigned to general. When becoming suspicious about mime types
I noticed the following:

$ see test.ogg
Error: no "view" mailcap rules found for type "audio/ogg"

$ see test.mp3
-> brings up alsaplayer

So even some ogg capable players and probably other programs might
profit here. I just detected this by chance and thus would like to
mention that it might be needed to do some more general research. I
admit that I could perfectly live without a `see *.ogg` which is way
below my interest in getting proper settings for *.pdf - just mentioning
that in fact the problem is more general.

Kind regards

Andreas (who regrets to waste time of his fellow developers
by not resisting a provocation sometimes)

--
http://fam-tille.de