Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/)
-   -   Bug#657742: ITP: libpam-usb -- PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/626104-bug-657742-itp-libpam-usb-pam-module-authentication-removable-usb-block-devices.html)

Alessio Treglia 01-28-2012 12:43 PM

Bug#657742: ITP: libpam-usb -- PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices
 
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Alessio Treglia <alessio@debian.org>

* Package name : libpam-usb
Version : 0.5.0
Upstream Author : Andrea Luzzardi <scox@sig11.org>
* URL : http://sf.net/projects/pamusb/
* License : GPL
Programming Lang: C, Python
Description : PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices

pam_usb provides hardware authentication for Linux using ordinary USB
Flash Drives. It works with any application supporting PAM, such as su,
any login manager (GDM, KDM), etc.

I intend to reintroduce this in Debian since upstream woke up and made
several important improvements to the PAM module.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120128134306.8141.45055.reportbug@alessio-laptop">http://lists.debian.org/20120128134306.8141.45055.reportbug@alessio-laptop

Michael Biebl 01-28-2012 03:09 PM

Bug#657742: ITP: libpam-usb -- PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices
 
On 28.01.2012 14:43, Alessio Treglia wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Alessio Treglia <alessio@debian.org>
>
> * Package name : libpam-usb
> Version : 0.5.0
> Upstream Author : Andrea Luzzardi <scox@sig11.org>
> * URL : http://sf.net/projects/pamusb/
> * License : GPL
> Programming Lang: C, Python
> Description : PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices
>
> pam_usb provides hardware authentication for Linux using ordinary USB
> Flash Drives. It works with any application supporting PAM, such as su,
> any login manager (GDM, KDM), etc.
>
> I intend to reintroduce this in Debian since upstream woke up and made
> several important improvements to the PAM module.

If you are talking about pam_usb 0.5.0 as hosted on sf.net, then I'd
like to point out, that it still uses hal, which has been deprecated for
quite some time.
Please don't upload new software using hal when we are in the process of
getting rid of hal altogether [1].


Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/HALRemoval


--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Alessio Treglia 01-28-2012 03:27 PM

Bug#657742: ITP: libpam-usb -- PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices
 
Hi Michael,

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> If you are talking about pam_usb 0.5.0 as hosted on sf.net, then I'd
> like to point out, that it still uses hal, which has been deprecated for
> quite some time.

Are you sure? From upstream changelog:

> * 0.5.0
> - Migrated the code base to UDisks. pam_usb doesn't depend on HAL anymore.
> - Added deny_remote option (defaults to true). If false,
> local login check will be disabled.
> - Fixed a bug in the device recognition (--add-device)

And indeed I can confirm it doesn't not need HAL anymore, at least on
my system where every trace of HAL was removed long time ago.

Thanks for reviewing this, and cheers!

--
Alessio Treglia * * * * *| www.alessiotreglia.com
Debian Developer * * * * | alessio@debian.org
Ubuntu Core Developer * *| quadrispro@ubuntu.com
0416 0004 A827 6E40 BB98 90FB E8A4 8AE5 311D 765A


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAMHuwowqpaquxW-ZcAy-TB6+ScOeHWjR4cuHhYXrEW4E1FJdLw@mail.gmail.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/CAMHuwowqpaquxW-ZcAy-TB6+ScOeHWjR4cuHhYXrEW4E1FJdLw@mail.gmail.com

Michael Biebl 01-28-2012 04:14 PM

Bug#657742: ITP: libpam-usb -- PAM module for authentication with removable USB block devices
 
On 28.01.2012 17:27, Alessio Treglia wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>> If you are talking about pam_usb 0.5.0 as hosted on sf.net, then I'd
>> like to point out, that it still uses hal, which has been deprecated for
>> quite some time.
>
> Are you sure? From upstream changelog:
>
>> * 0.5.0
>> - Migrated the code base to UDisks. pam_usb doesn't depend on HAL anymore.
>> - Added deny_remote option (defaults to true). If false,
>> local login check will be disabled.
>> - Fixed a bug in the device recognition (--add-device)
>
> And indeed I can confirm it doesn't not need HAL anymore, at least on
> my system where every trace of HAL was removed long time ago.

Seems I was fooled indeed. Makefile has:

SRCS := src/conf.c
src/mem.c
src/log.c
src/xpath.c
src/hal.c

and in src/hal.c it has
pusb_hal_get_raw_property() which indeed does talk to UDisks via D-Bus,
despite it's name. I guess I should have checked the code more carefully.

Michael





--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.