Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Vratislav Podzimek

Default KeyboardSpoke improvements

Hi,
first of all I am sorry for such a late reply I had exams on Monday and
yesterday.

> So here's my thoughts:
>
> - Blocking the user from leaving the screen is very annoying, I think.
> "I will lock you in this jail cell until you do what I want!
> MUAHAHAH!" (It's a little different when we lock hub #1, because it's a
> 'point-of-no-return.')
>
> - Blocking the user from removing the last / only layout from the
> keyboard layout list is very annoying. "No, I really really don't like
> English (US). Why won't you let me get rid of it?? Don't force it on
> me!"
Agree with both.

> PROPOSAL (let's call it the 'replace' proposal):
>
> If there is one language in the layout dialog (let's say en_us), '-' is
> not greyed out. If I select '-' with that language selected, I will get
> the 'Add keyboard layouts' pop-up dialog. I can select whatever layouts
> I want in that dialog.
Great idea! This way we would get what we need (at least one layout all
the time) and it wouldn't be inconvenient when replacing the predefined
value.

> - If I press 'add', the add dialog goes away, en_us is gone from the
> layout list, and whatever layouts I selected in the add dialog all
> appear in the list.
>
> - If I press 'remove', the add dialog goes away, en_us is the only one
> in the layout list (as if I had never pressed '-' in the first place)
Do you mean 'Cancel' here? Cause there is no 'Remove' button on the
AddLayout dialog and I think it's not necessary to change the label in
case of 'only one layout left'. Moreover, the 'Remove' button actually
not removing anything doesn't make much sense to me.

> So effectively we're having the '-' button behave as a 'replace' button
> if there is only one layout in the list. And we're avoiding locking
> anybody into the screen or locking the '-' button.
>
> What do you think?
>
> A couple more thoughts on the layout dialog:
>
> - I redesigned the keyboard layout addition dialog slightly so the user
> could add multiple layouts at the same time rather than having to go
> through and add them one-by-one. So that would make it less likely for a
> user juggling multiple layouts to reach the point that they only have
> one in the list. You can see this here:
> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Live%
> 20Prototypes/index.svg#screen-keyboard-layouts
Good idea, it should be quite simple to add this functionality. Though I
don't know how much useful this will be with the filtering (that has to
remove the selection). But it for sure is not a regression so I agree
with it.

> - Do we have any notion of supported layouts, at least in RHEL? Or are
> they all supported? (Or is there an official list of supported
> languages, and only layouts that correspond to those are supported?) I'm
> just thinking some indicator of supported or not might be helpful.
I have no idea. But I think there is no reason for not to support some
layout when it is supported by X server.

I will work on these changes and send another set of patches and a video
soon.

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Chris Lumens

> - Blocking the user from leaving the screen is very annoying, I think.
> "I will lock you in this jail cell until you do what I want!
> MUAHAHAH!" (It's a little different when we lock hub #1, because it's a
> 'point-of-no-return.')
>
> - Blocking the user from removing the last / only layout from the
> keyboard layout list is very annoying. "No, I really really don't like
> English (US). Why won't you let me get rid of it?? Don't force it on
> me!"

I agree with both of these statements. I find blocking the user from
leaving to be especially annoying, given that we don't do this anywhere
else in the UI right now.

> PROPOSAL (let's call it the 'replace' proposal):
>
> What do you think?

I like this proposal.

> - Do we have any notion of supported layouts, at least in RHEL? Or are
> they all supported? (Or is there an official list of supported
> languages, and only layouts that correspond to those are supported?) I'm
> just thinking some indicator of supported or not might be helpful.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a supported
layout. Languages are different in that they require work to be done
across the distribution - things have to be translated and enough people
have to be assigned to that task. Keyboard layouts, on the other hand,
are just a couple data files that work across the distribution.

- Chris