Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Norbert Preining

Default dpkg-source again broken wrt to 3.0 (quilt)???

Hi everyone,

maybe its just me, but I cannot get the hang of that 3.0 (quilt)
and pre/post applying patches.

Recently I prepared a NMU for less to finally fix the missing xz(tar.xz)
support, added a new patch, but it is *impossible* for me to build
a package. Irrelevant wether the patches were applied beforehand
or not, dpkg-buildpackage always ends up in trying to apply them TWO
times, which of course does not work.

Here a terminal log:
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package less
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 444-1.1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Norbert Preining <preining@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-source --before-build less-444
dpkg-source: info: using options from less-444/debian/source/options: --compression=bzip2 --compression-level=9
dpkg-source: info: patches are not applied, applying them now
dpkg-source: info: applying 01-434417-LESS_IS_MORE.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying less-support-xz.patch
fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
[ ! -f Makefile ] || /usr/bin/make distclean
dh_clean
rm -f debian/less.substvars
rm -f debian/less.*.debhelper
rm -rf debian/less/
rm -f debian/*.debhelper.log
rm -f debian/files
find . ( ( -type f -a
( -name '#*#' -o -name '.*~' -o -name '*~' -o -name DEADJOE
-o -name '*.orig' -o -name '*.rej' -o -name '*.bak'
-o -name '.*.orig' -o -name .*.rej -o -name '.SUMS'
-o -name TAGS -o ( -path '*/.deps/*' -a -name '*.P' )
) -exec rm -f {} ; ) -o
( -type d -a -name autom4te.cache -prune -exec rm -rf {} ; ) )
rm -f *-stamp
dpkg-source -b less-444
dpkg-source: info: using options from less-444/debian/source/options: --compression=bzip2 --compression-level=9
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building less using existing ./less_444.orig.tar.bz2
patching file debian/lesspipe.1
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.1.rej
patching file debian/lesspipe
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.rej
dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -g0 -E -b -B .pc/less-support-xz.patch/ < less-444.orig.kWo0pm/debian/patches/less-support-xz.patch gave error exit status 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b less-444 gave error exit status 2
$

Well. And if I do pre-apply the patches qith quilt push -a then the same
error happens.

So what is it that dpkg-buildpackage, dpkg-source, and all the quilt 3.0
stuff is soooo braindamaged????

I expect a package to build when I call dpkg-buildpackage, and if the
source format is so super-intelligent to breeak that, than there is
an error in the design.

So, let the flame war start again, or the enlightning procedure. I am open
to explanations.

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Jakub Wilk

* Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 09:15:

dpkg-source: info: using options from less-444/debian/source/options: --compression=bzip2 --compression-level=9
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building less using existing ./less_444.orig.tar.bz2
patching file debian/lesspipe.1
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.1.rej
patching file debian/lesspipe
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.rej

Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.

Of course, it would nice if dpkg died earlier (and with a nicer error
message).

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Norbert Preining

On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.

Umpf, and, is that so evil? Esp for a NMU this is *very* good
as it allows to see what the changes of the NMU are ...

Not that I am patching debian/control or debina/rules ...

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
BERKHAMSTED
The massive three-course midmorning blow-out enjoyed by a dieter who
has already done his or her slimming duty by having a teaspoonful of
cottage cheese for breakfast.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Arno Töll

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:
> So, let the flame war start again, or the enlightning procedure. I am open
> to explanations.

It would be nice if you could avoid the "flaming tone" in all your mails.
In particular since most of the time it ends up being a mistake of yours.

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.
>
> Umpf, and, is that so evil? Esp for a NMU this is *very* good
> as it allows to see what the changes of the NMU are ...

Yes, it's evil. dpkg-source tries to generate a new diff between the
currently unpacked source package and a "pristine" one which it generates
by unpacking the original tarball, copying the debian directory and
applying the patches.

But if the debian directory already contains changes which are part of the
patches, then it will fail trying to re-apply those changes.

There's a lintian error for this if for some reason you still manage to
build it:
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/patch-modifying-debian-files.html

(This was possible with source format "1.0" because there was only one big
patch which is regenerated every time, and because the source was built with
quilt patches unapplied)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM
"Bernhard R. Link"

* Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> [120118 03:08]:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.
>
> Umpf, and, is that so evil?

One of the problems "3.0 (quilt)" solves is upstream tarballs already
having a debian/ directory. By having the complete debian/ contents
in the .debian.tar.gz and the unpacking replacing any upstream debian
directory with those contents, the maintainer of the Debian package does
not have to care what upstream placed there[1] and any automated tool
looking for debian information (like copyright or changelog) can extract
this information in an easy way from a well specified location [2].

Once you start with the new contents of debian/, what is a patch of
those files supposed to do? Either it is already applied or the package
was not in proper state while building...

> Esp for a NMU this is *very* good
> as it allows to see what the changes of the NMU are ...
>
> Not that I am patching debian/control or debina/rules ...

So you suggest that someone interested at what this NMU does needs to
compare the two debian/ directories (of the old and the new package)
for changes in control, rules and changelog but then read some other
changes of the same directory in the form of a patch places in the
same directory?

I'd say that is the exactly opposite of "allows to see what the changed
of the NMU are".

So to answer you question: Yes, it is that evil.

Bernhard R. Link

[1] especially debhelper likes to behave differently if some file is
there or not, so left over files can have ugly consequences.
[2] the .orig.tar is hard to cope with, as it must allow pristine
upstream files which can have quite a variety and absurdity in them.
And having information split in the form of some content in the one file
and a diff in the other file is hard, too. (You either need to do a full
unpack or restrict to the case the information is either fully in the
one or in the other like e.g. reprepro and changestool do to get Section
and Priority information from a .dsc).

Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Mehdi Dogguy