Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Default dpkg-source again broken wrt to 3.0 (quilt)???

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> (18/01/2012):
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > It would be nice if you could avoid the "flaming tone" in all your mails.
> > In particular since most of the time it ends up being a mistake of yours.
>
> And it would be nice if dpkg-buildpackage gives a decent error message.
> What is shipped here is plain incomprehensible.

I'd like to echo Raphael's wishes here. Please stop yelling on this
mailing list, and start filing bugs, possibly with patches, to implement
the missing bits.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 22:18:
Since we are at quilt 3.0 bashing: Maybe you can give me a rational why
I *ALWAYS* have to type in

export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
before working with debian source packages? And when I forget it I get
hurt by quilt?

dpkg (>= 1.15.8.6) creates the .pc/.quilt_series file. So no, not always.

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > It would be nice if you could avoid the "flaming tone" in all your mails.
> > In particular since most of the time it ends up being a mistake of yours.
>
> And it would be nice if dpkg-buildpackage gives a decent error message.

[... snip useless flames ...]

> > But if the debian directory already contains changes which are part of the
> > patches, then it will fail trying to re-apply those changes.
>
> So well, but if out of some crazy reasin I *want* to do that, then
> dpkg-* should tell me: Sorry, this is not possible with quilt (3.0),

Please submit a wishlist bug for this.

> Since we are at quilt 3.0 bashing

You decide whether you're doing useless bashing or constructive
discussion... and we would be all better off if you picked the second
choice.

> : Maybe you can give me a rational
> why I *ALWAYS* have to type in
> export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
> before working with debian source packages? And when I forget it
> I get hurt by quilt?

First, this is not true. As pointed out by Jakub, dpkg-source -x sets up
the .pc directory so that quilt knows where to find the series file and
the patches.

Then, for the cases where you end up without this directory, you could
follow the advice of /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source which provides
a .quiltrc snippet that only sets QUILT_PATCHES if you're within a Debian
source package...

RTFM, man.

> Is this the *easy*handling* as promised?

If you have an unpacked source package with all patches already applied,
the easy handling is to just do your changes and then run "dpkg-source
--commit". It will create and register the patch for you.

> And NO, I wil lnot set this by default in my env, since I am working
> with quilt in several other projects out of debian, and I cannot afford
> getting even worse bitten.

The recommended snippet does avoid this problem...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Paul Wise

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

> Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.

I've personally missed this feature for a package I need to patch
outside of Debian. When it was dpkg-source v1 I could just drop in the
patches/series and everything would work. Now with dpkg-source v3 the
patches do not apply and months later I'm still wondering what to do
in this situation.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:24:22 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>
> > Wait, are you patching files inside debian/? That won't fly.
>
> I've personally missed this feature for a package I need to patch
> outside of Debian.

This is something I'll need to look at again when Emdebian starts
preparing modified cross-built packages to modify the dependency chain
(Emdebian Crush). Currently that's stalled waiting for MultiArch but
the only reliable way I found to do it is to maintain a separate
debian/ directory in a VCS and apply it to the orig.tar.gz. Maintenance
will be a problem but then getting debian/rules to support minor
variants is also plagued with problems of maintenance because most
maintainers will not (have time to / be able to) build the variants,
let alone test them on device.

One example here is qtembedded. I'm currently keeping a debian/
directory based on the version in Squeeze and it could possibly work as
an alternative build inside the Qt debian packages but it's not a short
build and testing it isn't a small task either. (I failed to get a sane
cross-build out of it, so now have to wait 16hrs for a native build.)
We're maintaining this build out-of-tree for now.

It is useful to have the (unchanged) debian/patches/ to include into the
build for the embedded derivative but in other ways, it is just hard to
do well.

> When it was dpkg-source v1 I could just drop in the
> patches/series and everything would work. Now with dpkg-source v3 the
> patches do not apply and months later I'm still wondering what to do
> in this situation.

However, I disagree with you here, Paul. Patches, especially quilt
patches, to debian/ files are NOT maintainable because you still need
to update the patches when a minor debian revision takes place. i.e.
you need the files to which to make the patches so you might as well
make those files use conditionals within the build to enable that
variant and then you at least have the chance to build the full Debian
version with a simple DEB_BUILD_OPTION for sanity reasons.

ifneq (,$(findstring qtembedded,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))

I did a LOT of patching to debian/ for the initial development of
Emdebian Crush based on Lenny and the only way to do it is to base on a
suite which is already frozen, otherwise the patches just fail
almost everytime the maintainer does anything to the package. It just
doesn't scale, so it's better to pick a frozen/stable suite and don't
try to keep up with more than a handful of packages.

In future, there will be no patches applied automatically to existing
Debian packages for Emdebian - we'll work out-of-tree and work on some
kind of conditional / derivative buildd support, possibly related to
the idea of partial architectures and existing work on bootstrap builds.

http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/223-Qt-embedded-armel-for-Emdebian.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2011/10/msg00023.html

http://www.emdebian.org/trac/browser/current/emdebian/trunk/qt4-embedded/trunk/debian

Maintaining a separate tree in VCS is also easy in that various tools
already support it. I used svn-inject with the -o option. Then a
judicious use of meld against apt-get source is enough to add a few
updates for the next build.

Admittedly in the current build, the option is explicitly set for ease
but that's just debug. There are niggles which I'll get around to
filing as bugs once I start doing this seriously again.

What I'd like to see is better support for conditionals in debian/rules
to allow packages like busybox, cairo, curl, openssh and others to be
routinely built with certain optional components turned off or
particular configurations turned on (in the case of busybox) -
possibly only on certain architectures. Yes, those builds may well be
dangerous to install on a regular Debian box (busybox in particular) but
there are still situations where ldap and the like make installation of
standard Debian packages (or packages from Emdebian Grip) completely
infeasible.

http://www.emdebian.org/trac/browser/current/target

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> maybe its just me, but I cannot get the hang of that 3.0 (quilt)
> and pre/post applying patches.
>
> Recently I prepared a NMU for less to finally fix the missing xz(tar.xz)
> support, added a new patch, but it is *impossible* for me to build
> a package. Irrelevant wether the patches were applied beforehand
> or not, dpkg-buildpackage always ends up in trying to apply them TWO
> times, which of course does not work.

As others have pointed out the error is this:

> patching file debian/lesspipe.1
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
> 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file debian/lesspipe.1.rej

No patching of files in debian/.

But that has been said. The reason why I write this mail is to suggest a
change in how you prepare a patch for a 3.0 (quilt) package that will
prevent you from running into this situation alltogether:

Just edit the files directly and build the (source) package.

Dpkg-buildpackage will automatically build (and update on repeated
builds) a debian/patches/debian-changes(-version) patch for you. Then
when you are satisfied that everything is as it should be you rename the
patch (quilt rename this-is-a-patch-for-foo) and edit the patch header to
properly annotate your work.

MfG
Goswin

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Agustin Martin

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:35:23PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 22:18:
> >Since we are at quilt 3.0 bashing: Maybe you can give me a
> >rational why I *ALWAYS* have to type in
> > export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
> >before working with debian source packages? And when I forget it
> >I get hurt by quilt?
>
> dpkg (>= 1.15.8.6) creates the .pc/.quilt_series file. So no, not always.

It is sometimes removed. It is still unclear to me when/why that happens,
guess that dh_quilt_unpatch may be the responsible for that.

Of course, there is the alternative of README.source snippet.

Agustin

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Russ Allbery

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
> On Mi, 18 Jan 2012, Stefano Rivera wrote:

>> Because you haven't set up a .quiltrc? The maint-guide has a really
>> nice example you can steal.

> Ugg, and call dquilt or quilt --quiltrc=... yeah
> I will try to remember that, and will forget it as well as I forget
> setting QUILT_PATCHES

The point of .quiltrc is that you put it in your home directory and forget
about it. /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source has:

for where in ./ ../ ../../ ../../../ ../../../../ ../../../../../; do
if [ -e ${where}debian/rules -a -d ${where}debian/patches ]; then
export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
break
fi
done

Put that in ~/.quiltrc and be happy.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:35:23PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > * Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 22:18:
> > >Since we are at quilt 3.0 bashing: Maybe you can give me a
> > >rational why I *ALWAYS* have to type in
> > > export QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
> > >before working with debian source packages? And when I forget it
> > >I get hurt by quilt?
> >
> > dpkg (>= 1.15.8.6) creates the .pc/.quilt_series file. So no, not always.
>
> It is sometimes removed. It is still unclear to me when/why that happens,
> guess that dh_quilt_unpatch may be the responsible for that.

You should not use dh_quilt_patch / dh_quilt_unpatch with a "3.0 (quilt)"
source package. dpkg-source takes care of everything, you should not
apply/unapply patches in debian/rules.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Agustin Martin

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 07:29:18PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Agustin Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 02:35:23PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > > * Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>, 2012-01-18, 22:18:
> > >
> > > dpkg (>= 1.15.8.6) creates the .pc/.quilt_series file. So no, not always.
> >
> > It is sometimes removed. It is still unclear to me when/why that happens,
> > guess that dh_quilt_unpatch may be the responsible for that.

Hi, Raphael, thanks for the reply,

> You should not use dh_quilt_patch / dh_quilt_unpatch with a "3.0 (quilt)"
> source package.

In the particular case of last QA upload for wdm, it is not explicitly used
anywhere in the package. Seems that is implicitly used by some other tool.
Before looking at the quilt snippet I considered having .pc/.quilt_series
in the VCS but it was removed.

By the way, just looked at quilt README.Debian and found no mention of above
"3.0 (quilt)" related info when dealing with dh_quilt_patch/dh_quilt_unpatch.
Some note about it may worth.

> dpkg-source takes care of everything, you should not apply/unapply patches in
> debian/rules.

This is sometimes useful when using "3.0 (quilt)" together with a VCS.
Although I'd expect it be similar to using the "3.0 (quilt)" format option to
unapply patches, still have to look at this more carefully.

I used this patch/unpatch targets before that option was available and still
keep them in some packages, having possible migration to unapply option in my
TODO list.

Agustin