Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Radek Vykydal

Default (version 2) Network configuration spoke POC

These is v2 of [7/7] patches I sent - with Chris's comments applied
(squashed into 5; destroy() replaced with set_no_show_all() + hide();
and making device list h-scrollable so that for long device descriptions)

Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Chris Lumens

> These is v2 of [7/7] patches I sent - with Chris's comments applied
> (squashed into 5; destroy() replaced with set_no_show_all() + hide();
> and making device list h-scrollable so that for long device descriptions)

I applied to a temp branch and checked it out in a VM. Overall, this
looks good. I had a very few comments about integration with the hub.

On the device list, I was more looking for text wrapping than a scrolled
window. I think a scrolled window there looks a little goofy. I should
have been more specific in my original comments.

Our mockups also provided for network configuration before the first
hub (http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/ToPrint/,
screens 01-network*). Have you given any thought to how this code can
get used there as well?

- Chris

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Radek Vykydal

On the device list, I was more looking for text wrapping than a scrolled
window. I think a scrolled window there looks a little goofy. I should
have been more specific in my original comments.

Alright, I noticed that you are not a fan of horizontal scrolling in lists,
I don't know how is this practice seen by UI people, I'd let Mo
decide here. Personally I prefer scrolling, but I'll take a look at
how wrapping would be done.

Our mockups also provided for network configuration before the first
hub (http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/ToPrint/,
screens 01-network*). Have you given any thought to how this code can
get used there as well?

I'll think about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Radek Vykydal

On the device list, I was more looking for text wrapping than a scrolled
window. I think a scrolled window there looks a little goofy. I should
have been more specific in my original comments.

Alright, I noticed that you are not a fan of horizontal scrolling in
lists,

I don't know how is this practice seen by UI people, I'd let Mo
decide here. Personally I prefer scrolling, but I'll take a look at
how wrapping would be done.

Also, in this specific case I think that the scrollbar would actually be
used rarerly - it is a detailed information not many people
will be interested in, and often the part visible in the list might be
sufficient (this points at awkwardnes of need to use the scrollbar to
see the info, not at how does it look or feel on the screen).

Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Chris Lumens

> Also, in this specific case I think that the scrollbar would actually be
> used rarerly - it is a detailed information not many people
> will be interested in, and often the part visible in the list might be
> sufficient (this points at awkwardnes of need to use the scrollbar to
> see the info, not at how does it look or feel on the screen).

If it'll be seen rarely, then it might be okay. But you're right - I'm
not really a fan of them. I think in this UI especially, they are dumb.
The reason for that is we're using an alignment to indent everything a
little bit (look through the mockups and you'll see that's what we're
doing everywhere). Thus, having a horizontal scroll bar while still
having a lot of empty space horizontally means we should just be making
better use of the screen space we've got.

- Chris