Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Thomas Goirand

Default uscan, watch files, and gihub tags

Hi,

For XCP (Xen Cloud Platform) that I'm helping to package (the first
version is nearly finished), upstream doesn't releases tarballs, but
instead, just adds tags to its Git repository, and git-buildpackage does
the rest of the magic (eg: selecting the correct tag on the master
branch to build the orig.tar.gz).

Is there currently a way, or is it planned, or is it even possible, that
watch files are used to check git tags?

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Scott Howard

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For XCP (Xen Cloud Platform) that I'm helping to package (the first
> version is nearly finished), upstream doesn't releases tarballs, but
> instead, just adds tags to its Git repository, and git-buildpackage does
> the rest of the magic (eg: selecting the correct tag on the master
> branch to build the orig.tar.gz).
>
> Is there currently a way, or is it planned, or is it even possible, that
> watch files are used to check git tags?

Since your title said "github tags," I think you're looking for:
http://githubredir.debian.net/

The source code is there if you're not on github.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Paul Wise

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Scott Howard wrote:

> Since your title said "github tags," I think you're looking for:
> http://githubredir.debian.net/

There is no need to use githubredir, just do something like this:

version=3
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/tags .*/tarball/(.*)

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 12/19/2011 01:55 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
> Since your title said "github tags," I think you're looking for:
> http://githubredir.debian.net/
>
> The source code is there if you're not on github.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for your quick answer. I'm now cross-posting in -mentors.

In my case, upstream tagged "master/1.3", and I'm getting issues still,
with uscan.

zigo@node4407:~/sources/xen-api/xen-api$ cat debian/watch
version=3
http://githubredir.debian.net/github/jonludlam/xen-api (.*).tar.gz

but then, I have the following error:

zigo@node4407:~/sources/xen-api/xen-api$ uscan --verbose --report
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
http://githubredir.debian.net/github/jonludlam/xen-api (.*).tar.gz
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
/github/jonludlam/xen-api/0~master.tar.gz
/github/jonludlam/xen-api/master/1.3.tar.gz
dpkg: warning: version '/master/1.3' has bad syntax: version number does
not start with digit
Newest version on remote site is /master/1.3, local version is 1.3
dpkg: warning: version '/master/1.3' has bad syntax: version number does
not start with digit
=> Newer version available from
http://githubredir.debian.net/github/jonludlam/xen-api/master/1.3.tar.gz
-- Scan finished

FYI, I really am packaging version 1.3, so uscan should find out that I'm
up-to-date.

I tried to poke with opts="uversionmangle=s/^master///" to remove "master/"
from the version of upstream git repo, but no luck... Upstream is
friendly, so
I can ask to remove the annoying bits of the versions, but there's already 9
packages involved, so I'd be glad to find a solution keeping upstream
scheme,
that would be less work and forcing "git push/pull --force --tags" to
everyone
working on the project is annoying.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 12/19/2011 03:15 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I tried to poke with opts="uversionmangle=s/^master///" to remove "master/"
> from the version of upstream git repo, but no luck...

Seems this works for me now:

version=3
https://github.com/jonludlam/xen-api/tags
/jonludlam/xen-api/tarball/master/(.+)

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Andreas Rütten

Am Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:02:57 +0800
schrieb Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>:

> On 12/19/2011 03:15 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > I tried to poke with opts="uversionmangle=s/^master///" to remove
> > "master/" from the version of upstream git repo, but no luck...
> >
> Seems this works for me now:
>
> version=3
> https://github.com/jonludlam/xen-api/tags
> /jonludlam/xen-api/tarball/master/(.+)

I assume the "tags as .tar.gz" feature is something special from
github. Or could I use also tags from e.g. git.debian.de in a watchfile?

Kind Regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Rütten AndreasRuetten@gmx.de

4096R: 0x6C9DFFB2 / 8394 99DA 59BD BCE2 3FC8 3A9E 6633 0089 6C9D FFB2

Old 12-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Paul Wise

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Andreas Rütten wrote:

> I assume the "tags as .tar.gz" feature is something special from
> github. Or could I use also tags from e.g. git.debian.de in a watchfile?

git.debian.de doesn't exist so that would not work.

As for non-github sites, gitweb doesn't appear to support this, but cgit does:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/refs/tags

Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Andreas Rütten

Hi Paul,

Am Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:12:13 +0800
schrieb Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Andreas Rütten wrote:
>
> > I assume the "tags as .tar.gz" feature is something special from
> > github. Or could I use also tags from e.g. git.debian.de in a
> > watchfile?
>
> git.debian.de doesn't exist so that would not work.

you are absolutely right, I meant git.debian.org
Sorry for the misconception.

> As for non-github sites, gitweb doesn't appear to support this, but
> cgit does:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/refs/tags

As far as I can see git.debian.org offers only http[s] access via gitweb
so we don't have it there per default.

But I found a snapshot feature in gitweb.conf (5)
http://www.manpagez.com/man/5/gitweb.conf/
Looks like this could do the trick.

Thanks,
Andreas