Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Malte Forkel

Default Managing left-over configuration files

Am 14.12.2011 00:00, schrieb Malte Forkel:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a transitional package to handle a software name change.
> The transitional package 'depends' on the new package, which itself
> 'replaces' the old package and takes over some of its control files.
> All other control files still belong to the transitional package after
> an upgrade.
>
> I have to remove some of those old control files, because they are in
> conflict with files from the new package. But then I think I should
> also make the transitional package forget about them.
>
> How do I properly handle the old control files? How do I tell a package
> that a specific file does not belong to this package anymore? I guess
> the same questions might arise when the set of control files changes
> with a new package version.

I'm sorry. What I'm worried about are the "configuration" files owned by
a transitional package after an upgrade. So please
%s/control/configuration/g. May be I shouldn't try to ask questions
after midnight :-)

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
David Kalnischkies

Hi,

in general, such questions are better suited for debian-mentors@,
but here we go:

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:07, Malte Forkel <malte.forkel@berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 14.12.2011 00:00, schrieb Malte Forkel:
>> How do I properly handle the old control files? *How do I tell a package
>> that a specific file does not belong to this package anymore? *I guess
>> the same questions might arise when the set of control files changes
>> with a new package version.
>
> I'm sorry. What I'm worried about are the "configuration" files owned by
> a transitional package after an upgrade. So please
> %s/control/configuration/g. May be I shouldn't try to ask questions
> after midnight :-)

I think what you mean is best described/covered with the advice to
have a look at the manpage of 'dpkg-maintscript-helper', but i must
confess that the question isn't all that clear to me with the 'sed' either.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Malte Forkel

Am 14.12.2011 11:30, schrieb David Kalnischkies:
> Hi,
>
> in general, such questions are better suited for debian-mentors@,
> but here we go:

> I think what you mean is best described/covered with the advice to
> have a look at the manpage of 'dpkg-maintscript-helper', but i must
> confess that the question isn't all that clear to me with the 'sed' either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

'dpkg-maintscript-helper' looks just like what I was looking for.
Unfortenately, I have to support pre-Squeeze systems as well, and dpkg
in Lenny does not have 'dpkg-maintscript-helper' yet. So I might have to
provide to some kind of fallback hack. As a first attempt, I added some
code to postinst to remove the old conffiles from the system and also
remove their entries from '/var/lib/dpkg/info/<transitionalpackage>.list

As suggested, I'll take my problems to debian-mentors...

Malte