FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
 
Default Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

Including debian-devel..





-------- Original Message --------



Subject:
Re: Open-FCoE for Wheezy


Date:
Fri, 09 Dec 2011 18:31:01 +0530


From:
Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@debian.org>


Reply-To:

rrs@debian.org


Organization:

RESEARCHUT


To:
debian-release@lists.debian.org







Any suggestions?

It is a new and expensive technology and hasn't seen much adoption yet.


On 12/02/2011 01:14 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hello Release Team,
>
> Please provide me some Release readiness assistance for Open-FCoE's
> inclusion for Wheezy/Sid
>
> Open-FCoE [1], is a newer SAN technology to carry Fiber Channel traffic
> over Ethernet. The ethernet is generalized in the definition but in
> reality, a newer 10 GiB DCB Ethernet card is required for FCoE
> capabilities. Also to mention the refreshes required on the switch
> infrastructure.
>
> My initial hope was to get some access to FCoE hardware setup that I
> could spare for Debian. Unfortunately, for multiple reasons that didn't
> happen and I don't see having access to the hardware any time soon.
>
> Open-FCoE stack is currently in experimental. I have had no [bug]
> reports yet. Also the popcon stats is very low.
>
>
> The assistance I'm seeking from you is about its release readiness for
> Wheezy/Sid. Should I get these packages uploaded to Wheezy/Sid? There
> might not be many packaging errors, but with no real user testing in a
> production environment, I have no idea how the stack will behave.
>
>
> Should I go ahead with the inclusion of Open-FCoE into the Debian archive?
>
>
> [1] http://www.open-fcoe.org
>


--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Jack Morgan
 
Default Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
both ends.

There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.


Thanks,

On 12/10/2011 03:59 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Including debian-devel..
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: Open-FCoE for Wheezy
> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 18:31:01 +0530
> From: Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@debian.org>
> Reply-To: rrs@debian.org
> Organization: RESEARCHUT
> To: debian-release@lists.debian.org
>
>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> It is a new and expensive technology and hasn't seen much adoption yet.
>
>
> On 12/02/2011 01:14 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>> Hello Release Team,
>>
>> Please provide me some Release readiness assistance for Open-FCoE's
>> inclusion for Wheezy/Sid
>>
>> Open-FCoE [1], is a newer SAN technology to carry Fiber Channel traffic
>> over Ethernet. The ethernet is generalized in the definition but in
>> reality, a newer 10 GiB DCB Ethernet card is required for FCoE
>> capabilities. Also to mention the refreshes required on the switch
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> My initial hope was to get some access to FCoE hardware setup that I
>> could spare for Debian. Unfortunately, for multiple reasons that didn't
>> happen and I don't see having access to the hardware any time soon.
>>
>> Open-FCoE stack is currently in experimental. I have had no [bug]
>> reports yet. Also the popcon stats is very low.
>>
>>
>> The assistance I'm seeking from you is about its release readiness for
>> Wheezy/Sid. Should I get these packages uploaded to Wheezy/Sid? There
>> might not be many packaging errors, but with no real user testing in a
>> production environment, I have no idea how the stack will behave.
>>
>>
>> Should I go ahead with the inclusion of Open-FCoE into the Debian archive?
>>
>>
>> [1] http://www.open-fcoe.org
>>
>
>
> --
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
> Debian - The Universal Operating System
>
>
>
>

--
Jack Morgan
 
Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
 
Default Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

On 12/10/2011 11:07 PM, Jack Morgan wrote:
> There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
> stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
> target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
> initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
> both ends.
>
> There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.

Yes, and these are special 10 GiB DCB Ethernet Adapters.

I guess I'll push it to unstable. If there are issues reported, we'll
see about its inclusion for the stable release, then.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Bernd Zeimetz
 
Default Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

On 12/10/2011 07:43 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 11:07 PM, Jack Morgan wrote:
>> There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
>> stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
>> target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
>> initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
>> both ends.
>>
>> There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.
>
> Yes, and these are special 10 GiB DCB Ethernet Adapters.
>
> I guess I'll push it to unstable. If there are issues reported, we'll
> see about its inclusion for the stable release, then.


I'd suggest to do so, too. In the worst case it could be removed from testing
before the release. As soon as there is a software target available I might be
able to test the packages


--
Bernd Zeimetz Debian GNU/Linux Developer
http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4EE93E6C.7050508@bzed.de">http://lists.debian.org/4EE93E6C.7050508@bzed.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org