-   -   Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/608723-fwd-open-fcoe-wheezy.html)

Ritesh Raj Sarraf 12-10-2011 10:59 AM

Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

Including debian-devel..

-------- Original Message --------

Re: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

Date:
Fri, 09 Dec 2011 18:31:01 +0530

From:
Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@debian.org>

RESEARCHUT

To:
debian-release@lists.debian.org

Any suggestions?

It is a new and expensive technology and hasn't seen much adoption yet.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System

Jack Morgan 12-10-2011 04:37 PM

Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
both ends.

There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.

Thanks,

On 12/10/2011 03:59 AM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Including debian-devel..

Jack Morgan

Ritesh Raj Sarraf 12-10-2011 05:43 PM

Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

On 12/10/2011 11:07 PM, Jack Morgan wrote:
> There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
> stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
> target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
> initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
> both ends.
>
> There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.

Yes, and these are special 10 GiB DCB Ethernet Adapters.

I guess I'll push it to unstable. If there are issues reported, we'll
see about its inclusion for the stable release, then.

Bernd Zeimetz 12-14-2011 11:25 PM

Fwd: Open-FCoE for Wheezy

On 12/10/2011 07:43 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 11:07 PM, Jack Morgan wrote:
>> There is an effort to develop a software target along with the open-FCoE
>> stack. This would help reduce some of the cost by removing the need for
>> target and possible a switch. (back to back configuration: FCoE
>> initiator to software target) You would still need a 10Gb adapter on
>> both ends.
>>
>> There is already some support for this in opensuse, fedora and ubuntu.
>
> Yes, and these are special 10 GiB DCB Ethernet Adapters.
>
> I guess I'll push it to unstable. If there are issues reported, we'll
> see about its inclusion for the stable release, then.

I'd suggest to do so, too. In the worst case it could be removed from testing
before the release. As soon as there is a software target available I might be
able to test the packages :)

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F