Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Default Work-needing packages report for Dec 9, 2011

The following is a listing of packages for which help has been requested
through the WNPP (Work-Needing and Prospective Packages) system in the
last week.

Total number of orphaned packages: 392 (new: 2)
Total number of packages offered up for adoption: 143 (new: 4)
Total number of packages requested help for: 64 (new: 1)

Please refer to http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ for more information.

The following packages have been orphaned:

hibernate (#651194), orphaned 2 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 7647

tokyocabinet (#650830), orphaned 5 days ago
Reverse Depends: bogofilter-tokyocabinet drizzle-plugin-dev kumofs
libghc-tokyocabinet-dev libtokyocabinet-dbg libtokyocabinet-dev
libtokyocabinet-perl libtokyotyrant-dev libtokyotyrant3 mutt (9 more
omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 70140

390 older packages have been omitted from this listing, see
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned for a complete list.

The following packages have been given up for adoption:

desktopcouch (#651198), offered 2 days ago
Reverse Depends: desktopcouch-tools python-dmedia
Installations reported by Popcon: 86

iprelay (#651139), offered 2 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 83

libpuzzle (#651426), offered today
Reverse Depends: libpuzzle-bin libpuzzle-php
Installations reported by Popcon: 88

python-lightblue (#651141), offered 2 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 107

139 older packages have been omitted from this listing, see
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/rfa_bypackage for a complete list.

For the following packages help is requested:

[NEW] hibernate (#651194), requested 2 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 7647

apache2 (#646208), requested 47 days ago
Reverse Depends: aegis-web apache2 apache2-dbg apache2-mpm-event
apache2-mpm-itk apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-mpm-worker
apache2-prefork-dev apache2-suexec apache2-suexec-custom (181 more
omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 60256

apt-xapian-index (#567955), requested 675 days ago
Reverse Depends: adept ept-cache fuss-launcher packagesearch
Installations reported by Popcon: 49049

ara (#450876), requested 1488 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 104

asymptote (#517342), requested 1014 days ago
MetaPost
Installations reported by Popcon: 2914

athcool (#278442), requested 2599 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 99

balsa (#642906), requested 74 days ago
Reverse Depends: balsa-dbg debreaper
Installations reported by Popcon: 276

bastille (#592137), requested 488 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 279

boinc (#511243), requested 1064 days ago
Reverse Depends: boinc boinc-amd-opencl boinc-app-milkyway
boinc-app-seti boinc-dbg boinc-nvidia-cuda
Installations reported by Popcon: 1877

cardstories (#624100), requested 227 days ago
player
Installations reported by Popcon: 7

chromium-browser (#583826), requested 557 days ago
Reverse Depends: chromium chromium-browser chromium-browser-dbg
chromium-browser-inspector chromium-browser-l10n chromium-dbg
chromium-l10n gecko-mediaplayer mozplugger
Installations reported by Popcon: 9451

cryptsetup (#600777), requested 414 days ago
Reverse Depends: cryptsetup cryptsetup-udeb libcryptsetup-dev
libguestfs0 libpam-mount ltsp-client mandos-client partman-crypto-dm
rescue-mode systemd
Installations reported by Popcon: 7173

cvs (#354176), requested 2114 days ago
Reverse Depends: cvs-autoreleasedeb cvs-buildpackage cvs2cl cvs2html
cvschangelogbuilder cvsconnect cvsd cvsps cvsservice cvssuck (8 more
omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 18142

dctrl-tools (#448284), requested 1503 days ago
information
Reverse Depends: aptfs debian-goodies debtree dlocate
haskell-devscripts javahelper libsbuild-perl linux-patch-debianlogo
postgresql-server-dev-all simple-cdd (1 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 14789

debtags (#567954), requested 675 days ago
Reverse Depends: goplay packagesearch
Installations reported by Popcon: 2626

doc-central (#566364), requested 684 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 229

dpkg (#282283), requested 2573 days ago
Reverse Depends: a2ps acct ace-gperf acl2-doc
ada-reference-manual-info adacontrol advi advi-examples alien
alqalam (675 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 118839

elvis (#432298), requested 1613 days ago
support)
Reverse Depends: elvis elvis-console elvis-tools
Installations reported by Popcon: 390

fbcat (#565156), requested 694 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 133

flightgear (#487388), requested 1265 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 795

flite (#576327), requested 614 days ago
Reverse Depends: asterisk-flite brltty-flite eflite flite flite1-dev
gnustep-gui-runtime gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad pd-flite
speech-dispatcher
Installations reported by Popcon: 45607

freeipmi (#628062), requested 196 days ago
Reverse Depends: freeipmi-bmc-watchdog freeipmi-ipmidetect
freeipmi-tools libfreeipmi-dev libfreeipmi10 libipmiconsole-dev
libipmiconsole2 libipmidetect-dev libipmidetect0
libipmimonitoring-dev (1 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 758

gnat-4.4 (#539633), requested 1332 days ago
Reverse Depends: adabrowse ghdl gnat-4.4 gnat-gps libadasockets3-dev
libalog0.3-base libalog0.3-full libalog1-base-dev libalog1-full-dev
libapq-postgresql1-dev (42 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 1348

gnat-gps (#640532), requested 94 days ago
Reverse Depends: gnat-gps-dbg gnat-gps-doc
Installations reported by Popcon: 381

grub2 (#248397), requested 2768 days ago
Reverse Depends: grml-rescueboot grml2usb grub grub-coreboot
grub-coreboot-bin grub-disk grub-efi grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-amd64-bin grub-efi-ia32 (15 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 107241

gwibber (#573822), requested 634 days ago
Reverse Depends: gwibber gwibber-service-buzz gwibber-service-digg
gwibber-service-facebook gwibber-service-flickr
gwibber-service-foursquare gwibber-service-friendfeed
gwibber-service-identica gwibber-service-pingfm
gwibber-service-qaiku (4 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 914

hfsprogs (#557892), requested 743 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 1071

hotkey-setup (#483107), requested 1290 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 4840

jove (#470185), requested 1369 days ago
editor
Installations reported by Popcon: 966

kvm (#479951), requested 1310 days ago
ia64, ppc and s390)
Reverse Depends: nova-compute-kvm qemubuilder
Installations reported by Popcon: 2566

lesstif2 (#551853), requested 778 days ago
Reverse Depends: alliance cmucl-clm ddd dx elk geomview grace grass
gridengine-qmon hotswap-gui (48 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 16516

libapache2-mod-python (#516501), requested 1020 days ago
Reverse Depends: check-mk-multisite dicoweb
Installations reported by Popcon: 19135

libcap2 (#534999), requested 893 days ago
Reverse Depends: apache2.2-bin asterisk autodir avahi-daemon bind9
bind9-host bind9utils diod dnsutils gnome-keyring (82 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 109246

libnss-db (#624768), requested 221 days ago
service
Installations reported by Popcon: 2795

libreoffice (#419523), requested 1697 days ago
Reverse Depends: docvert-libreoffice gnome jabref-plugin-oo
jodreports-cli libjodconverter-java libjodreports-java libreoffice
libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc (240 more
omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 41786

link-grammar (#556010), requested 755 days ago
English
Reverse Depends: abiword-plugin-grammar liblink-grammar4
liblink-grammar4-dev liblink-grammar4-java link-grammar
Installations reported by Popcon: 12687

logcheck (#539944), requested 856 days ago
administrator
Reverse Depends: fiaif logcheck
Installations reported by Popcon: 5358

loop-aes-utils (#385614), requested 1925 days ago
Reverse Depends: partman-crypto-loop
Installations reported by Popcon: 332

mdadm (#537993), requested 869 days ago
Reverse Depends: mdcfg-utils partman-md rescue-mode
Installations reported by Popcon: 16055

mediawiki-extensions (#484545), requested 1282 days ago
Reverse Depends: mediawiki-extensions
mediawiki-extensions-collection mediawiki-extensions-confirmedit
mediawiki-extensions-fckeditor mediawiki-extensions-geshi
mediawiki-extensions-graphviz mediawiki-extensions-ldapauth
mediawiki-extensions-openid mediawiki-semediawiki
Installations reported by Popcon: 441

monotone (#574609), requested 629 days ago
maintainers needed
Reverse Depends: monotone-doc monotone-extras monotone-server qct
Installations reported by Popcon: 321

movabletype-opensource (#572484), requested 644 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 40

mtr (#527482), requested 945 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 19327

nas (#354174), requested 2114 days ago
Reverse Depends: acm acm4 alsaplayer-nas djplay gbsplay
isdnvboxclient libaudio-dev libgnuradio-qtgui0 libqt3-mt
libqt3-mt-dev (17 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 54975

nfs-utils (#616690), requested 277 days ago
Reverse Depends: fai-quickstart ltsp-server-standalone
nfs-kernel-server rgmanager task-file-server
Installations reported by Popcon: 96959

nn (#470187), requested 1369 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 111

openbox (#566900), requested 682 days ago
window manager
Reverse Depends: libobrender21 lxde-core obconf openbox openbox-dev
openbox-themes
Installations reported by Popcon: 5209

openldap (#512360), requested 1052 days ago
Reverse Depends: adtool alpine am-utils aolserver4-nsldap
apache2.2-bin asterisk-modules audispd-plugins autofs-ldap
autofs5-ldap balsa (206 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 111127

openscenegraph (#392266), requested 1885 days ago
Reverse Depends: fgrun flightgear libopenscenegraph-dev
libopenscenegraph80 libopenthreads-dev libopenwalnut1
libopenwalnut1-dev libosgearth-dev libosgearth1 libossim1 (9 more
omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 511

openssl (#332498), requested 2254 days ago
cryptographic tools
Reverse Depends: 3270-common afflib-tools alpine amanda-client
amanda-common amanda-server anon-proxy aolserver4-nsopenssl
apache2-prefork-dev apache2-threaded-dev (689 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 113487

otrs2 (#588363), requested 519 days ago
Reverse Depends: otrs
Installations reported by Popcon: 176

piuparts (#584125), requested 555 days ago
Reverse Depends: elida
Installations reported by Popcon: 363

piwik (#448532), requested 1501 days ago

ppp (#589632), requested 507 days ago
Reverse Depends: gpppon ipppd kppp network-manager-pptp portslave
pppconfig pppdcapiplugin pppoe pppoeconf pptp-linux (8 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 48044

proftpd-dfsg (#519175), requested 1003 days ago
Reverse Depends: gadmin-proftpd proftpd-dev proftpd-mod-autohost
proftpd-mod-case proftpd-mod-dnsbl proftpd-mod-fsync
proftpd-mod-geoip proftpd-mod-ldap proftpd-mod-msg proftpd-mod-mysql
(5 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 7958

pyro (#530280), requested 929 days ago
Reverse Depends: pyro-examples pyro-gui shinken-core
Installations reported by Popcon: 920

quilt (#543541), requested 835 days ago
Reverse Depends: broadcom-sta-source gcc-4.4-source gcc-4.5-source
gcc-4.6-source gpib-modules-source gquilt meego-packaging-tools
mozilla-devscripts nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-source
nvidia-kernel-legacy-71xx-source (4 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 12023

rng-tools (#630920), requested 173 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 588

sepolgen (#483641), requested 1287 days ago
Reverse Depends: policycoreutils
Installations reported by Popcon: 9433

serna-free (#640976), requested 90 days ago
Reverse Depends: serna-dbg
Installations reported by Popcon: 56

sql-ledger (#472709), requested 1353 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 91

wine (#479659), requested 1311 days ago
Reverse Depends: dssi-vst libwine-alsa libwine-capi libwine-cms
libwine-dbg libwine-dev libwine-esd libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2
libwine-jack (13 more omitted)
Installations reported by Popcon: 13938

yasr (#474251), requested 1343 days ago
Installations reported by Popcon: 55

zookeeper (#579791), requested 587 days ago
hadoop family.
Reverse Depends: libzookeeper-dev libzookeeper-java-doc
python-zookeeper zookeeper zookeeper-bin zookeeperd
Installations reported by Popcon: 6

See http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/help_requested for more information.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Tollef Fog Heen

]]

> For the following packages help is requested:
[list of 64 packages with an average time since bug opened of just above 1000 days and a
median of 881 days.]

Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while? While I'm
sure help for grub2 would be welcome, are people actually going to see
that bug which is about 7.6 years old? What are the criteria for
closing the bugs?

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Rodolfo kix Garcia

On 12/09/2011 07:15 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

]]

For the following packages help is requested:

[list of 64 packages with an average time since bug opened of just above 1000 days and a
median of 881 days.]

Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while?

But, if the bug exists, you cannot close the bug.

Other thing is remove the old packages from debian. Probably some
packages should be removed because are too old, without upstream, and no
people using them. http://popcon.debian.org is a good tool to get info
about installed packages.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Russ Allbery

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while? While I'm
> sure help for grub2 would be welcome, are people actually going to see
> that bug which is about 7.6 years old? What are the criteria for
> closing the bugs?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that for a while too. Part of the problem
is that I've yet to meet an open source package that couldn't use more
help in one sense or another. So there's no clear "we now have sufficient
help" point.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Neil Williams

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 20:43:46 +0100
Rodolfo kix Garcia <kix@kix.es> wrote:

> On 12/09/2011 07:15 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while?
>
> But, if the bug exists, you cannot close the bug.

Of course it can be closed and it can be closed by anyone with a QA
role. The only question is when.

> Other thing is remove the old packages from debian. Probably some
> packages should be removed because are too old, without upstream, and no
> people using them. http://popcon.debian.org is a good tool to get info
> about installed packages.

As has been discussed on this mailing list many times, popcon is NOT a
good tool get info about installed packages re removal of packages. It
can give a slight indication but it is merely a hint, not a tool to be
banded around as reasons to remove or not remove packages. (I've
installed Debian more times without popcon installed than with - by
about two orders of magnitude.)

Packages are often removed for being too old - usually as a RoQA:
abandoned upstream.

> > While I'm
> > sure help for grub2 would be welcome, are people actually going to see
> > that bug which is about 7.6 years old? What are the criteria for
> > closing the bugs?

If any of these help bugs are against orphaned packages, I think the O:
replaces the RFH:, so those can be merged.

If the package has any other reasons to be removed (where being
orphaned isn't necessarily the sole reason), then removal is the best
option.

For the rest, maybe it could be a QA role - similar to the occasional
closing of ITP/RFP bugs and retitling ITA back to O: bugs.

Hard and fast rules for these things will be hard to develop. I think
it is just one of those QA tasks. In that respect, I'm glad that the
WNPP mailings have restarted - it keeps these things on the radar. The
more people notice these things, the more likely someone will be
sufficiently motivated by the reminders to spend a little time
assessing the package.

As a sideline: how many DD's have actually packaged something for which
an RFP bug was open? How useful are RFP's?

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 12-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Tollef Fog Heen

]] Russ Allbery

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while? While I'm
> > sure help for grub2 would be welcome, are people actually going to see
> > that bug which is about 7.6 years old? What are the criteria for
> > closing the bugs?
>
> Yeah, I've been wondering about that for a while too. Part of the problem
> is that I've yet to meet an open source package that couldn't use more
> help in one sense or another. So there's no clear "we now have sufficient
> help" point.

I've always (well, since they were introduced) thought about the RFH
bugs as either «we're now starting a team effort to fix up $package,
please come and help» and more commonly: «I'm stuck maintaining this
package with a mostly nonexistent/dysfunctional team, if somebody else
who uses this would like to chip in, it'd be great». So, a way to
highlight sore spots and get attention.

A «please help me» bug that's been open for an average of almost three
years isn't getting attention, nor highlighting anything.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Russ Allbery

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> I've always (well, since they were introduced) thought about the RFH
> bugs as either «we're now starting a team effort to fix up $package,
> please come and help» and more commonly: «I'm stuck maintaining this
> package with a mostly nonexistent/dysfunctional team, if somebody else
> who uses this would like to chip in, it'd be great». So, a way to
> highlight sore spots and get attention.

> A «please help me» bug that's been open for an average of almost three
> years isn't getting attention, nor highlighting anything.

My first inclination would be to publish a clear definition like that
somewhere and then auto-close RFH bugs after three months. After three
months, the team has either formed or not, and the dysfunctional team has
either gotten fixed or one should consider escalating to RFA. The
maintainer can always reopen if they think they'll have more luck asking
for help the second time around.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
>> I've always (well, since they were introduced) thought about the RFH
>> bugs as either «we're now starting a team effort to fix up $package,
>> please come and help» and more commonly: «I'm stuck maintaining this
>> package with a mostly nonexistent/dysfunctional team, if somebody else
>> who uses this would like to chip in, it'd be great». So, a way to
>> highlight sore spots and get attention.
>
>> A «please help me» bug that's been open for an average of almost three
>> years isn't getting attention, nor highlighting anything.
>
> My first inclination would be to publish a clear definition like that
> somewhere and then auto-close RFH bugs after three months. After three
> months, the team has either formed or not, and the dysfunctional team has
> either gotten fixed or one should consider escalating to RFA. The
> maintainer can always reopen if they think they'll have more luck asking
> for help the second time around.

Maybe we also need a different "need help" system where it is easier to
find something fun and usefull to do on a rainy day.

Something where RFHs for small jobs can be added with some tags for
required skill sets and so on and a frontend to filter out stuff you
could do. Mikro RFHs. Most important would be the frontend. If that then
looks through wnpp bugs or a postgress database or whatever doesn't
matter. It should also be possible to select "package that I have
installed" in some way.

As an example a mikro RFH for a project could be:

Mikro-RFH: fuse: Replace use of index() with strchr().
Added: 2011-12-10

The fuse library still uses the legacy index() and rindex() functions in
parts of its code. Your mission, if you accept it, will be to replace
those with the equivalent strchr() and strrchr() calls.

I believe such mikro RFHs could be far more usefull for getting things
done incrementally and to attrackt new people that would otherwise be
daunted to join a large project. People that would never respond to
"please help maintain grub" are more likely to help out in a small
way. And maybe they then stick with it.

MfG
Goswin

Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Russ Allbery

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

> Maybe we also need a different "need help" system where it is easier to
> find something fun and usefull to do on a rainy day.

> Something where RFHs for small jobs can be added with some tags for
> required skill sets and so on and a frontend to filter out stuff you
> could do. Mikro RFHs. Most important would be the frontend. If that then
> looks through wnpp bugs or a postgress database or whatever doesn't
> matter. It should also be possible to select "package that I have
> installed" in some way.

We already have the help tag for bugs, which sounds roughly like this.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
>
>> Maybe we also need a different "need help" system where it is easier to
>> find something fun and usefull to do on a rainy day.
>
>> Something where RFHs for small jobs can be added with some tags for
>> required skill sets and so on and a frontend to filter out stuff you
>> could do. Mikro RFHs. Most important would be the frontend. If that then
>> looks through wnpp bugs or a postgress database or whatever doesn't
>> matter. It should also be possible to select "package that I have
>> installed" in some way.
>
> We already have the help tag for bugs, which sounds roughly like this.

But there is no way to find bugs taged help given a skillset. So unless
you specifically think "Lets fix something in grub today" and go looking
for grub bugs tagged help you never find them.

Say today you want to write some manpages. How do you find a RFH bug
about adding or fixing manpages?

MfG
Goswin