Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Thomas Koch

Default script to link annoying $HOME dirs/files to /tmp?

Hi,

Is there anything like the following? A script that I can run on login and
that creates folders/empty files in (tmpfs mounted) /tmp and creates symlinks
from $HOME/... to /tmp.
This is done so that data I don't care about is automatically cleaned on
logout.

Candidates for this would be:
.cache/
.gnash/
.thumbnails/
.dbus/
.subversion/ (only created by git svn)
.kde/{cache|socket|tmp}-$(hostname)
.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache

or files:
.htoprc
.lesshst
.histfile
.pulse-cookie

Even better would be the possibility to have a hook that can create the
necessary symlinks and empty dirs/files when those are first accessed. How
would I do that?

I feel like mass bug filling against packages that pollute my $HOME and don't
use $HOME/.c{ache|onfig} ... :-)

Is there a more appropriate list for this question?

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Nicolas Bourdaud

On 02/12/2011 16:46, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anything like the following? A script that I can run on login and
> that creates folders/empty files in (tmpfs mounted) /tmp and creates symlinks
> from $HOME/... to /tmp.

Hi,

You can configure PAM so that it does this for you: use a special
command that will create these symlinks for you (use pam_exec for this
in the "session" stack).

Alternatively, you may configure bash to execute to command on login
(/etc/profile or ~/.profile if user specific) but that assume bash is
your login shell.

As a side note, I am not sure but I believe this question should have
been asked on debian-users mailing list first :-).

Cheers,

Nicolas

Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2011-12-02, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> .kde/{cache|socket|tmp}-$(hostname)
You know that these is actual links to /tmp or /var/tmp ?

/Sune