Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM
"Andy Cress"

Default ITP: ipmiutil -- Easy-to-use IPMI server management utilities

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Andy Cress <arcress@users.sourceforge.net>

* Package name : ipmiutil
Version : 2.8.0
Upstream Author : Andy Cress <arcress@users.sourceforge.net> *
License : BSD
Programming Lang: C, C++
Description : Easy-to-use IPMI server management utilities

The ipmiutil package provides easy-to-use utilities to view the SEL,
perform an IPMI chassis reset, set up the IPMI LAN and Platform Event
Filter entries to allow SNMP alerts, Serial-Over-LAN console, event
daemon, and other IPMI tasks.

-- System Information: Debian Release: 5.0.4
APT prefers stable
APT policy: (500, 'stable') Architecture: i386 (i686)

BACKGROUND INFO:

The ipmiutil project has been in use on various hardware platforms since
2001, so it is mature and has an established user community.

Other Linux distros that include ipmiutil:
Fedora, openSuSE, Gentoo, RedFlag, MontaVista, RHEL6.3, etc.

For a detailed feature comparison of IPMI open-source software packages,
see http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/docs/ipmisw-compare.htm

Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Bastian Blank

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:50:17AM -0800, Andy Cress wrote:
> * Package name : ipmiutil

We already have at least two full ipmi suites. Please describe why
ipmiutil is better then freeipmi and ipmitool.

Bastian

--
Vulcans never bluff.
-- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1

Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM
"Andy Cress"

Bastian,

Having more than one IPMI package to cover different user-community preferences certainly has a number of precedents. Think of all the SMTP packages, for instance.
I believe ipmiutil is better, as described below, but some may disagree. Nevertheless, giving users the choice is a good position, IMO.

IPMIUTIL

OS Support: Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, Solaris
Linux Distros: Fedora, RHEL6.3, Gentoo, RedFlag, MontaVista, openSUSE 11.4
Upstream site: http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net

The ipmiutil package is an easy-to-use IPMI server management utility with an existing installed user community. It provides IPMI functionality similar to ipmitool and freeipmi but it has certain advantages and additional features:
* automates common IPMI management functions
* interprets more event data than other packages
* includes a severity with each IPMI event
* allows easier configuration of the IPMI LAN channel
* supports various drivers and driverless mode also
* supports other OSs, like Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc.
* provides automated test cases

The ipmiutil project has been released since 2001 (originally named panicsel), so it has more longevity than the others.
The ipmiutil project is much more active than ipmitool, which has not had upstream developer activity since Feb 2009.
It supports Windows servers, the others do not. So users who have mixed OS environments would prefer ipmiutil.

Andy

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Raf Czlonka

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 08:58:42PM GMT, Andy Cress wrote:
> It supports Windows servers, the others do not. So users who have mixed OS environments would prefer ipmiutil.

If that's true it's enough of a reason for me for it to be packaged.

Raf

Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
tony mancill

On 11/28/2011 02:33 PM, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 08:58:42PM GMT, Andy Cress wrote:
>> It supports Windows servers, the others do not. So users who have mixed OS environments would prefer ipmiutil.
>
> If that's true it's enough of a reason for me for it to be packaged.

I concur. The more Debian can do to ease its introduction into mixed
and/or non-Debian environments, the more potentially attractive it is to
users. Having impiutil part of Debian, provided that it is not buggy
and is well-maintained, means one less headache for sysadmins out there.

0.02,
tony

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 AM
martin f krafft

also sprach tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> [2011.11.29.0030 +0100]:
> I concur. The more Debian can do to ease its introduction into mixed
> and/or non-Debian environments, the more potentially attractive it is to
> users. Having impiutil part of Debian, provided that it is not buggy
> and is well-maintained, means one less headache for sysadmins out there.

Noone has argued that ipmiutil should not be packaged because there
are others already. But the package descriptions should help users
decide between them. Ideally, therefore, wishlist reports should be
filed against the other packages with suggestions to improve.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

"in the country of the blind,
the one-eyed man is not king.
he is taken to be a hallucinating lunatic."
-marshall mcluhan