Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Michael Hall

Default Appreciation

The Ubuntu community is holding a community appreciation day[1] today,
and I wanted to extend that to the entire Debian community as well.

Without you we wouldn't be able to make the contributions we do. Ubuntu
is great because Debian is great, and we appreciate all of the work that
goes into making it that way.

So for myself and the wider Ubuntu community, I would like to thank
every Debian developer, maintainer, contributor and community member for
all of the amazing things that you do each and every day.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UCADay

--
Michael Hall
mhall119@ubuntu.com

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
martin f krafft

also sprach Michael Hall <mhall119@ubuntu.com> [2011.11.21.0100 +0100]:
> The Ubuntu community is holding a community appreciation day[1]
> today, and I wanted to extend that to the entire Debian community
> as well.

Thanks. It's good to see that there are still people in the Ubuntu
community who have a grasp of the big picture. The community
managers in Ubuntu don't seem to care to inform new members (and
make sure existing members know) where Ubuntu is coming from.

Best of luck, and keep up the good work!

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

time wounds all heels.
-- groucho marx

Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Hall <mhall119@ubuntu.com> [2011.11.21.0100 +0100]:
> > The Ubuntu community is holding a community appreciation day[1]
> > today, and I wanted to extend that to the entire Debian community
> > as well.
>
> Thanks. It's good to see that there are still people in the Ubuntu
> community who have a grasp of the big picture. The community
> managers in Ubuntu don't seem to care to inform new members (and
> make sure existing members know) where Ubuntu is coming from.

Then you'll be glad to learn that Michael is going to be one of the Ubuntu
community managers. :-)

http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/11/17/welcoming-our-new-horseman-michael-hall/

Apparently he will take special care of Ubuntu's upstreams, and Debian
certainly is one of Ubuntu's upstream.

That said I don't share your point of view, most of the new Ubuntu
contributors (at least those involved in packaging) are very much aware of
the relationship with Debian and it's not uncommon that they are asked to
forward patches to Debian, or to consider submitting new packages to
Debian directly.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/

Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
martin f krafft

also sprach Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [2011.11.21.1606 +0100]:
> That said I don't share your point of view, most of the new Ubuntu
> contributors (at least those involved in packaging)

There are still many old ones that think Ubuntu can do without
Debian. Community "management" is not about writing webpages that
are only read by "most of the new people".

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org

the only difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman
is that the car salesman knows he's lying.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Andreas Tille

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 04:12:35PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> There are still many old ones that think Ubuntu can do without
> Debian. Community "management" is not about writing webpages that
> are only read by "most of the new people".

I personally liked the Bow-Arrow comparison Mark did in

http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/11/17/people-behind-debian-mark-shuttleworth-ubuntus-founder/

and repeating old problems usually does not really help specifically if
the are that vague as above.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--