Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Nick Leverton

Default info please (on transitions and dependency levels)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:19:40PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Packages in level 2 build-depend on packages in level 1 (and so on up
> the stack), so in general level 1 needs to be built before level 2.
>
> (This is mostly only of practical interest to people managing these
> transitions, though.)

Is there a usual way to generate the dependency level lists ? I ask
because I have a transition coming up for one of my packages, which I
am currently attempting to plan. Debtree can do it in nice graph format
of course, but converting that to a written list might be error prone.

Nick

Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Colin Watson

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 01:54:02PM +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:19:40PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Packages in level 2 build-depend on packages in level 1 (and so on up
> > the stack), so in general level 1 needs to be built before level 2.
> >
> > (This is mostly only of practical interest to people managing these
> > transitions, though.)
>
> Is there a usual way to generate the dependency level lists ? I ask
> because I have a transition coming up for one of my packages, which I
> am currently attempting to plan. Debtree can do it in nice graph format
> of course, but converting that to a written list might be error prone.

Ask the release team; they use
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ben.git;a=summary for
the purpose and should be able to add transition pages for you.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Nick Leverton

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 02:21:37PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 01:54:02PM +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:
> >
> > Is there a usual way to generate the dependency level lists ? I ask
> > because I have a transition coming up for one of my packages,
>
> Ask the release team; they use
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ben.git;a=summary for
> the purpose and should be able to add transition pages for you.

Thanks Colin, I'll involve them at an early stage then.

Nick