Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Patrick Ouellette

Default Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 01:21:17AM +0700, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Why do noone comment on the point raised that the ham tool possibly can
> change the name of its binary without involving its end-users, whereas
> changing the name of the nodejs binary affects all end-users directly?

I commented on it earlier - you can not control the user community and
how they use the software on their machines. Just because the software
is only installed automatically with a specific configuration does not
mean that that configuration is the only configuration in use.

Changing the name of *any* binary has the potential for creating
unintended consequences for the end users.

Pat
--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Martin Wuertele

* Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [2011-11-16 18:23]:

> Reality check: it is not a question of number of users, but a question
> of which package has the most stubborn maintainer…

You mean like those of a well known desktop environment wrt nm?

/me puts the mirror down

Yours Martin