Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Ole Wolf

Default Can't get rid of diff-contains-substvars warning

I have a problem building a package properly. From a clean build, sources-only (debuild clean; debuild -S), I get the lintian warning that the diff-contains-substvars in one of the packages that are built:

W: vellemaninstrumentation source: diff-contains-substvars debian/backup/vellemaninstrumentation-dkms.substvars

(There are also som other lintian warnings, but those are okay for now and will be fixed later.)

Prior to debuild, the debian folder contains no substvars, and after building the source-only, the file warned about still isn't there. It does get generated when I do a binary of full build.

I can't see from the rules file or the control file why this happens, but perhaps someone well versed in debian packaging can spot the reason. In case it helps, I've uploaded the full source as a tarball: http://debian.blazingangles.net/velleman-0.1-2.tar.gz.

--

Ole Wolf

Rødhættevej 4 * 9400 Nørresundby

Telefon: 9632-0108 * Mobil: 2467-5526 * Skype: ole.wolf * SIP: ole.wolf@ekiga.net

*

Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Ole Wolf <wolf@blazingangles.com> writes:

> I have a problem building a package properly. From a clean build, sources-only
> (debuild clean; debuild -S), I get the lintian warning that the
> diff-contains-substvars in one of the packages that are built:
>
> W: vellemaninstrumentation source: diff-contains-substvars debian/backup/
> vellemaninstrumentation-dkms.substvars

Why do you have a debian/backup/ directory? I'm assuming you aren't
building a binary package called backup and even then there should be no
substvars file in that directory in the first place and the dir should
be removed on clean.

> (There are also som other lintian warnings, but those are okay for now and will
> be fixed later.)
>
> Prior to debuild, the debian folder contains no substvars, and after building
> the source-only, the file warned about still isn't there. It does get generated
> when I do a binary of full build.
>
> I can't see from the rules file or the control file why this happens, but
> perhaps someone well versed in debian packaging can spot the reason. In case it
> helps, I've uploaded the full source as a tarball: http://
> debian.blazingangles.net/velleman-0.1-2.tar.gz.

MfG
Goswin

Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Ole Wolf

Quoting Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:

W: vellemaninstrumentation source: diff-contains-substvars debian/backup/

vellemaninstrumentation-dkms.substvars

Why do you have a debian/backup/ directory? I'm assuming you aren't

building a binary package called backup and even then there should be no

substvars file in that directory in the first place and the dir should

be removed on clean.

You're right, it turned out it was that simple. I originally got that warning because there really was a vellemaninstrumentation-dkms.substvars in the debian directory, and instead of deleting it, I created a backup directory for it. I missed the fact that the warning now complains about the files in that directory, so I thought I had not gotten rid of it. Thanks for spotting it!

*