Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Default Is anyone maintaining (the ham radio tool) node?

Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think the best way to fix this is to prepare both renaming uploads
> in advance, and allow either of the two contending maintainers to
> upload both packages simultaneously.

Thanks, that sounds sensible to me.

Since this still seems to be stalled, I would like to hear from the
nodejs maintainers whether this approach would be okay with them and
whether there is anything others involved with Debian can do to help
with the migration.

(Yes, that includes helping talk with upstream to get nodejs accepted
as a synonym so scripts with "#!/usr/bin/env nodejs" can work
everywhere. Yes, that includes changing policy, if you happen to have
a coherent proposal in mind.)

Regards,
Jonathan

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Jérémy Lal

On 29/11/2011 00:16, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to fix this is to prepare both renaming uploads
>> in advance, and allow either of the two contending maintainers to
>> upload both packages simultaneously.
>
> Thanks, that sounds sensible to me.
>
> Since this still seems to be stalled, I would like to hear from the
> nodejs maintainers whether this approach would be okay with them and
> whether there is anything others involved with Debian can do to help
> with the migration.

I can prepare a patch for nodejs package.

Those matters need help :
- All packages shipping files with a node shebang must also be patched.
Is there a simple way to search all packages having a node shebang ?

- I can't help but talk about "npm", an essential development tool distributed
in latest nodejs (can be compared to ruby's gem). It allows one to install and
publish npm packages to a common registry.
It will need a patch to rename shebangs on-the-fly, and maybe rename them back
when publishing. Npm author is working closely with nodejs authors.

> (Yes, that includes helping talk with upstream to get nodejs accepted
> as a synonym so scripts with "#!/usr/bin/env nodejs" can work
> everywhere.

Convincing upstream will obviously need treasures of diplomacy,
as it's easier for them to point their users to alternative debian packages.

> Yes, that includes changing policy, if you happen to have
> a coherent proposal in mind.)

I don't understand, could you explain why / which policy ?

Jérémy.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Jakub Wilk

* Jérémy Lal <jerry@edagames.com>, 2011-11-29, 01:23:

Is there a simple way to search all packages having a node shebang ?

http://lintian.debian.org/tags/unusual-interpreter.html
(Unfortunately, the list might be incomplete because the lintian lab is
still a bit broken; see bug #641468.)

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Jonathan Nieder

Jérémy Lal wrote:

> I can prepare a patch for nodejs package.

Thanks!

[...]
> - I can't help but talk about "npm", an essential development tool distributed
> in latest nodejs (can be compared to ruby's gem). It allows one to install and
> publish npm packages to a common registry.
> It will need a patch to rename shebangs on-the-fly, and maybe rename them back
> when publishing. Npm author is working closely with nodejs authors.

Filed as bug#650345.

[...]
>> Yes, that includes changing policy, if you happen to have
>> a coherent proposal in mind.)
>
> I don't understand, could you explain why / which policy ?

Debian policy. I was thinking of [1] as I said this. But I do not
personally have any idea about how policy could be improved in this
area.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/11/msg00380.html