Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Joey Hess

Default Description-less packages file

AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
download size by 3.6 MB.

Also, it seems unlikely this will ever allow apt to skip downloading the
English files, unless translations somehow get to, and stay at 100%

--
see shy jo

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Joerg Jaspert

On 12664 March 1977, Joey Hess wrote:
> AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
> download size by 3.6 MB.

Yeah well, true. It's a place for testing, not for long term usage.
And pdiff generation is still a major PITA, even though someone started
working on it to get it better.

> Also, it seems unlikely this will ever allow apt to skip downloading the
> English files, unless translations somehow get to, and stay at 100%

Well. IMO that should/could be configurable to a point where a user
could say "I dont care about long descriptions at all", not needing to
download them at all or "Show me only long descriptions in my language"
and so only getting his own language (and yes, missing some maybe), or
something similar.

But even if we never end up with those options, storing the descriptions
once per suite instead of once per architecture per suite is worth it
already. IMO.

--
bye, Joerg
> 20. What would you do if you wanted to retire from the project?
Remove the passphrase from the (secret) gpg key and post it to
debian-devel. The keyring maintainers will lock the account ASAP.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Joey Hess

Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 12664 March 1977, Joey Hess wrote:
> > AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
> > download size by 3.6 MB.
>
> Yeah well, true. It's a place for testing, not for long term usage.

I'm referring to once it's in the archive, not the files for testing.

> And pdiff generation is still a major PITA, even though someone started
> working on it to get it better.

Is someone working on pdiff support for Translation-xx files?

--
see shy jo

Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Joerg Jaspert

>> > AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
>> > download size by 3.6 MB.
>> Yeah well, true. It's a place for testing, not for long term usage.
> I'm referring to once it's in the archive, not the files for testing.

Ah.

>> And pdiff generation is still a major PITA, even though someone started
>> working on it to get it better.
> Is someone working on pdiff support for Translation-xx files?

Well. If that volunteer I had for redoing the pdiff generation comes
back alive, then in general there is nothing against having any
(textbased) file in dists/ appear as pdiff too.

--
bye, Joerg
Ubuntu: An ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Ansgar Burchardt

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
> download size by 3.6 MB.
>
> Also, it seems unlikely this will ever allow apt to skip downloading the
> English files, unless translations somehow get to, and stay at 100%

Switching to xz compression would reduce the English translation from
3.7 MB to 3.3 MB. Maybe we could add support for this to APT and switch
later (so we don't need both bz2 and xz on the mirrors).

Regards,
Ansgar

Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Steve McIntyre

Ansgar wrote:
>Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>> AFAICS, there are no diff files, so this increases the average apt-get update
>> download size by 3.6 MB.
>>
>> Also, it seems unlikely this will ever allow apt to skip downloading the
>> English files, unless translations somehow get to, and stay at 100%
>
>Switching to xz compression would reduce the English translation from
>3.7 MB to 3.3 MB. Maybe we could add support for this to APT and switch
>later (so we don't need both bz2 and xz on the mirrors).

I did wonder about that when I added the debian-cd code to deal with
translations. xz would probably make more sense, yes, but at the
moment I've just hard-coded for bz2.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt

Old 11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:

> I just merged a patch from Ansgar to generate the Packages files without
> the English description embedded inside them. Instead they are now
> written into a new file, the "English Translation" file in
> "main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2". They thus appear alongside all other
> translated descriptions as "just another language". apt & co will (or
> should) just download those Translation files to show the description,
> as they do already for all other languages.
> This lets us save quite a bit of space on our mirrors by not repeating
> them as many times as we have architectures - and also enables
> non-English-speaking users (and eventually multi-arch enabled APT) to
> save on download size, as they no longer need to download a language
> that is of no use to them or is already there.

Thanks. This is verry much appreciated and saves doubly (triplly,
quadruply, ...) on downloads, disk space (and I assume memory too) with
multiarch.

MfG
Goswin

Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Andreas Tille

Hi,

I noticed that we now have long descriptions somewhere else, however I
somehow missed the consequence, that UDD now does not feature the
English long descriptions as well.

I have written the UDD importer for DDTP descriptions and noticed
that the location where I was drawing the dscriptions from are not
featuring the English version. Any hint were to get these?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Andreas Tille

[Ansgar as OP in d-d-a in CC - please tell me where to direct this kind
of questions to]

Hi,

when trying to import the new Translation files into UDD I realised that
the files are containing useless duplicates with no reason. It might
possibly not harm current applications but it might perfectly be a
result of an unwanted effect and thus we should care. I realised this
problem when working on a new importer which has a constraint like this:

PRIMARY KEY (package, release, language, description, description_md5)

I get unimportable data sets for instance these:

$ wget -q http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2

$ bzgrep -B1 "ea55aa04a24ea847c61e4865c135347b" Translation-en.bz2
Package: gnome-control-center-dev
Description-md5: ea55aa04a24ea847c61e4865c135347b
--
Package: gnome-control-center-dev
Description-md5: ea55aa04a24ea847c61e4865c135347b

$ bzgrep -B1 "0cf5a8771cafcd619336f37af75b9a7c" Translation-en.bz2
Package: gnutls-doc
Description-md5: 0cf5a8771cafcd619336f37af75b9a7c
--
Package: gnutls-doc
Description-md5: 0cf5a8771cafcd619336f37af75b9a7c

$ bzgrep -B1 "2150078ff0e4ffed278ad048818feef8" Translation-en.bz2
Package: calendar-google-provider
Description-md5: 2150078ff0e4ffed278ad048818feef8
--
Package: calendar-google-provider
Description-md5: 2150078ff0e4ffed278ad048818feef8

These are three examples out of 8 I found when importing the current data set.

Any chance to prevent these duplicates?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--