Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
József Dániel

Default zfs-fuse in debian

Hello,
Quick question. I see you maintain zfs-fuse.
0.7.0 is out since March, but it's not even in Sid. Is there some deep reason to this, or just lack of time?

Since zfs-fuse upstream is under extremely heavy development, I have the feeling that any risks created by adopting the latest stable release should be small compared to the known errors it fixes, so I'm planning to build myself a 0.7.0 package by cannibalizing the 0.6.9-1 source pkg in squeeze.

Do you think the debian patchfile for 0.6.9-1 will apply cleanly to upstream 0.7.0? Does it do any deeper code fixes?
Thanks a lot!
Daniel

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Mike Hommey

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:38:11PM +0200, József Dániel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Quick question. I see you maintain zfs-fuse.
>
> 0.7.0 is out since March, but it's not even in Sid. Is there some deep
> reason to this, or just lack of time?

The latter. It's on mentors, I need to go through the package and
sponsor it.

Mike

Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Aron Xu

Hi Dániel,

2011/10/25 József Dániel <daniel.jozsef@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> Quick question. I see you maintain zfs-fuse.
> 0.7.0 is out since March, but it's not even in Sid. Is there some deep
> reason to this, or just lack of time?
> Since zfs-fuse upstream is under extremely heavy development, I have the
> feeling that any risks created by adopting the latest stable release should
> be small compared to the known errors it fixes, so I'm planning to build
> myself a 0.7.0 package by cannibalizing the 0.6.9-1 source pkg in squeeze.
> Do you think the debian patchfile for 0.6.9-1 will apply cleanly to upstream
> 0.7.0? Does it do any deeper code fixes?
> Thanks a lot!
> Daniel

zfs-fuse has been orphaned at Oct 16th, and later Asias He expressed
his interest in adopting the package.[1]

After a quick look at the two versions of package, the old patch won't
work for 0.7.0-1, you may want to try the one prepared by Asias He at
your own risk. Use the following command to get the source and
debian.tar.gz:
dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/z/zfs-fuse/zfs-fuse_0.7.0-1.dsc

This version of zfs-fuse isn't a part of unstable/experimental, it may
damage your system and data. OK, you have been warned. I tried to
build it, and it won't build on i386, but builds fine on amd64. But I
haven't tried whether it works as expected.

[1]http://bugs.debian.org/637988

Aron Xu

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Asias He

2011/10/25 Aron Xu <happyaron.xu@gmail.com>:
> Hi Dániel,
>
> 2011/10/25 József Dániel <daniel.jozsef@gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>> Quick question. I see you maintain zfs-fuse.
>> 0.7.0 is out since March, but it's not even in Sid. Is there some deep
>> reason to this, or just lack of time?
>> Since zfs-fuse upstream is under extremely heavy development, I have the
>> feeling that any risks created by adopting the latest stable release should
>> be small compared to the known errors it fixes, so I'm planning to build
>> myself a 0.7.0 package by cannibalizing the 0.6.9-1 source pkg in squeeze.
>> Do you think the debian patchfile for 0.6.9-1 will apply cleanly to upstream
>> 0.7.0? Does it do any deeper code fixes?
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Daniel
>
> zfs-fuse has been orphaned at Oct 16th, and later Asias He expressed
> his interest in adopting the package.[1]
>
> After a quick look at the two versions of package, the old patch won't
> work for 0.7.0-1, you may want to try the one prepared by Asias He at
> your own risk. Use the following command to get the source and
> debian.tar.gz:
> dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/z/zfs-fuse/zfs-fuse_0.7.0-1.dsc
>
> This version of zfs-fuse isn't a part of unstable/experimental, it may
> damage your system and data. OK, you have been warned. I tried to
> build it, and it won't build on i386, but builds fine on amd64. But I
> haven't tried whether it works as expected.

It builds for me on i386 box? What fails when you build?

--
Asias He

Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Asias He

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Mike Hommey <glandium@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:38:11PM +0200, József Dániel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Quick question. I see you maintain zfs-fuse.
>>
>> 0.7.0 is out since March, but it's not even in Sid. Is there some deep
>> reason to this, or just lack of time?
>
> The latter. It's on mentors, I need to go through the package and
> sponsor it.

Hi, Mike

I have resolved all the comments in the other mail a couple of days ago.
It would be great if you can find time to walk through and sponsor it.

--
Asias He