FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
sean finney
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

hiya,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 03:50:07PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> For the presentation side of things I am thinking one approach might be
> to move UbuntuDiff[8] to the QA infrastructure, generalise it and
> enhance it for this purpose. This will necessarily include mechanisms to
> mark patches as having been dealt with or ignorable.

I think it's also worth some consideration about if/how it could be
integrated with the Debian patch-tracker service (or perhaps supercede said
service if it made more sense).

Without thinking super hard on it it seems like it could have some nice
effects on cross-distro participation by giving an extra incentive
to share/markup patches, and to a lesser extent even the same source
packages. Just thought I'd throw that in there anyway...


sean


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111025085844.GA16888@cobija.connexer.com">http://lists.debian.org/20111025085844.GA16888@cobija.connexer.com
 
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, sean finney wrote:

> I think it's also worth some consideration about if/how it could be
> integrated with the Debian patch-tracker service (or perhaps supercede said
> service if it made more sense).
>
> Without thinking super hard on it it seems like it could have some nice
> effects on cross-distro participation by giving an extra incentive
> to share/markup patches, and to a lesser extent even the same source
> packages. *Just thought I'd throw that in there anyway...

I tend to think of the derivatives patches effort as slightly
different since it aims at diffing Debian and $derivative rather than
$distro and $upstream like patch-tracker.

That said, integration of derivatives into patch-tracker.d.o was one
of the possibilities[1] I had thought of. I didn't yet start to work
on that but I would welcome any effort on it or other integration
initiatives.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Packages

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKTje6G+xxZD_JNZzdCLVqtaG2mw1erO+eYcc-Q5R9uLQkrnJg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKTje6G+xxZD_JNZzdCLVqtaG2mw1erO+eYcc-Q5R9uLQkrnJg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Mehdi Dogguy
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On 25/10/2011 09:50, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> For the presentation side of things I am thinking one approach might be
> to move UbuntuDiff[8] to the QA infrastructure, generalise it and
> enhance it for this purpose. This will necessarily include mechanisms
> to mark patches as having been dealt with or ignorable.
>
> 8. http://ubuntudiff.debian.net/
>

I'm glad you liked it. ubuntudiff¹ was made exactly to show this kind of
data. Currently, all ubuntudiff needs to produce html pages in some file
listing source package names and associated patches. So, nothing is really
bound to patches.ubuntu.com, except the syntax of (the equivalent of)
sources.patches.

It is easy to set up an ubuntudiff instance for each set of derivative
patches, but I guess some changes have to be implemented to have a unified
interface for all those derivatives (i.e. all patches accessible from a
single place).

Current ubunutdiff uses grep-dctrl to select a list of packages. I think
that people don't like that much, and they usually find it not easy to
use. We will have to think about a better interface.

About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is not the
best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or even have a
look at the code) It depends on who wants to contribute here. I'm open
to suggestions…

A nice feature that I'd like to keep is visualisation of patches by hunk…
this will require a parser to read unified diffs.

In any case, I'd be happy to help here to implement and setup this new
service.

¹: btw, the tool's name is “maddie”.

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4EA6A420.3090100@dogguy.org">http://lists.debian.org/4EA6A420.3090100@dogguy.org
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 15:50:07 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Up to now the only options for pulling patches from distributions
> derived from Debian have been Ubuntu's Debian patches repository[1] and
> manual downloads of source packages from derivatives. In my estimation a
> more general way to do this would be desirable.
>
Is there a reason to restrict this to derivatives? I find patches from
fedora rather more interesting than ubuntu's.

Cheers,
Julien


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111025200118.GD3100@radis.liafa.jussieu.fr">http ://lists.debian.org/20111025200118.GD3100@radis.liafa.jussieu.fr
 
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Karl Goetz
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:57:20 +0200
Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:

> On 25/10/2011 09:50, Paul Wise wrote:
> >
> > For the presentation side of things I am thinking one approach
> > might be to move UbuntuDiff[8] to the QA infrastructure, generalise
> > it and enhance it for this purpose. This will necessarily include
> > mechanisms to mark patches as having been dealt with or ignorable.
> >
> > 8. http://ubuntudiff.debian.net/

[...]

> About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is
> not the best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or
> even have a look at the code) It depends on who wants to
> contribute here. I'm open to suggestions…

If integration with PTS is planned (and or if you're using
ubuntu-distro-info) perhaps python would make sense as a language
choice.

> ¹: btw, the tool's name is “maddie”.

Hopefully it won't be confused with (r)maddison
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group
 
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Benjamin Drung
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

Am Mittwoch, den 26.10.2011, 08:49 +1100 schrieb Karl Goetz:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:57:20 +0200
> Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:
>
> > On 25/10/2011 09:50, Paul Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > For the presentation side of things I am thinking one approach
> > > might be to move UbuntuDiff[8] to the QA infrastructure, generalise
> > > it and enhance it for this purpose. This will necessarily include
> > > mechanisms to mark patches as having been dealt with or ignorable.
> > >
> > > 8. http://ubuntudiff.debian.net/
>
> [...]
>
> > About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is
> > not the best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or
> > even have a look at the code) It depends on who wants to
> > contribute here. I'm open to suggestions…
>
> If integration with PTS is planned (and or if you're using
> ubuntu-distro-info) perhaps python would make sense as a language
> choice.

ubuntu-distro-info is implemented in Haskell (since version 0.3) and has
an Python and Perl library.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer
 
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Julien Cristau wrote:

> Is there a reason to restrict this to derivatives? *I find patches from
> fedora rather more interesting than ubuntu's.

Fedora don't use Debian source packages so we don't have anything to
debdiff against.

But I guess you mean patches against upstream rather than against
Debian. That is something I plan to work on too, using Enrico Zini's
distromatch. I would welcome someone else working on this too since I
have my hands full with other stuff.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKTje6FKvzJYfiJAe50GrchO8NLaZgS5GdD1Tn-MfSCJO7oVrQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKTje6FKvzJYfiJAe50GrchO8NLaZgS5GdD1Tn-MfSCJO7oVrQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:

> I'm glad you liked it. ubuntudiff¹ was made exactly to show this kind of
> data. Currently, all ubuntudiff needs to produce html pages in some file
> listing source package names and associated patches. So, nothing is really
> bound to patches.ubuntu.com, except the syntax of (the equivalent of)
> sources.patches.

Ok great. I can output different formats for the patch index if needed
and indeed I will need to be generating a set of global indices, which
doesn't exist at the moment.

> It is easy to set up an ubuntudiff instance for each set of derivative
> patches, but I guess some changes have to be implemented to have a unified
> interface for all those derivatives (i.e. all patches accessible from a
> single place).

Indeed that would be required.

> Current ubunutdiff uses grep-dctrl to select a list of packages. I think
> that people don't like that much, and they usually find it not easy to
> use. We will have to think about a better interface.

Personally I don't have much experience with grep-dctrl so that
interface is not that useful to me.

IIRC UbuntuDiff has a URL interface too which services like
DDportfolio or the PTS use or could use.

> About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is not the
> best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or even have a
> look at the code) It depends on who wants to contribute here. I'm open
> to suggestions…
>
> A nice feature that I'd like to keep is visualisation of patches by hunk…
> this will require a parser to read unified diffs.
>
> In any case, I'd be happy to help here to implement and setup this new
> service.

I'm personally not able to read/write OCaml but if you are willing to
implement the features needed for derivatives stuff then

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKTje6GRWgCzHwhsvRNN-tqrLPZEQFQ0TseQj-c6YxQnk1B+Og@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKTje6GRWgCzHwhsvRNN-tqrLPZEQFQ0TseQj-c6YxQnk1B+Og@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:

> I'm glad you liked it. ubuntudiff¹ was made exactly to show this kind of
> data. Currently, all ubuntudiff needs to produce html pages in some file
> listing source package names and associated patches. So, nothing is really
> bound to patches.ubuntu.com, except the syntax of (the equivalent of)
> sources.patches.

Ok great. I can output different formats for the patch index if needed
and I will need to be generating a set of global indices, which
doesn't exist at the moment.

> It is easy to set up an ubuntudiff instance for each set of derivative
> patches, but I guess some changes have to be implemented to have a unified
> interface for all those derivatives (i.e. all patches accessible from a
> single place).

Indeed that would be required.

> Current ubunutdiff uses grep-dctrl to select a list of packages. I think
> that people don't like that much, and they usually find it not easy to
> use. We will have to think about a better interface.

Personally I don't have much experience with grep-dctrl so that
interface is not that useful to me.

IIRC UbuntuDiff has a URL interface too which services like
DDportfolio or the PTS use or could use.

> About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is not the
> best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or even have a
> look at the code) It depends on who wants to contribute here. I'm open
> to suggestions…
>
> A nice feature that I'd like to keep is visualisation of patches by hunk…
> this will require a parser to read unified diffs.
>
> In any case, I'd be happy to help here to implement and setup this new
> service.

I'm personally not able to read/write OCaml but if you are willing to
implement the features needed for derivatives stuff then there should
be no need for that

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKTje6GbkQYF8TZjF1D2zc=ZHVw+5MF4QYfbfYVw7SjYgVzjj g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKTje6GbkQYF8TZjF1D2zc=ZHVw+5MF4QYfbfYVw7SjYgVzjj g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Karl Goetz wrote:

> As a (largely) non coder, what should I look for in (say) gNewSenses
> patches to know if it can be filtered out automatically? Are there any
> common indicators?

Anything that looks like cruft or things that the Debian maintainer
does not need to see.

It was suggested on IRC that I should delegate the filtering to
maintainers with an easy interface. I'm not sure what that would look
like but it sounds a much more useful way to do things. Hopefully
Mehdi would be willing to work on it too

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAKTje6HBye2cEXF0hJRRSV23BHsQfT+uWt0o_RjfUoHt8Mb3i g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAKTje6HBye2cEXF0hJRRSV23BHsQfT+uWt0o_RjfUoHt8Mb3i g@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org