Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Alastair McKinstry

Default console-tools removal from sid

Hi,

I propose to remove console-tools from sid, in favour of kbd.
This is long planned: console-tools has been dead upstream for many
years, with only Debian and derivatives
still using it; For squeeze, kbd was made priority: optional and
console-tools priority: extra

(both provide virtual console-utilities).

Does anyone have any objections?

regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry ,<alastair@sceal.ie> ,<mckinstry@debian.org> http://blog.sceal.ie

Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world
is either a madman or an economist - Kenneth Boulter, Economist.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-10-19 14:35 +0200, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> I propose to remove console-tools from sid, in favour of kbd.
> This is long planned: console-tools has been dead upstream for many
> years, with only Debian and derivatives
> still using it; For squeeze, kbd was made priority: optional and
> console-tools priority: extra
> (both provide virtual console-utilities).
>
> Does anyone have any objections?

There seem to be a few packages which still depend on console-tools
without an alternative dependency on kbd or console-utilities, e.g.
goto-fai or gcpegg. You probably want to file bugs against those.

Otherwise, removing console-tools is a good idea IMO.

Cheers,
Sven