-   -   Tasksel's "standard" task (was: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/588620-tasksels-standard-task-rfc-making-mail-transport-agent-priority-optional.html)

Luca Capello 10-17-2011 02:55 PM

Tasksel's "standard" task (was: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional)

Hi there!

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:48:11 +0200, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:29:56 +0200
>> Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
>> > * Neil Williams (codehelp@debian.org) [111015 22:23]:
>> >
>> > "Standard" is just another word for "what someone expect so it's
>> > considered as normal unix", which *is* a multi-user server.
>> >
>> > Perhaps the task isn't named perfect, but that's just what standard
>> > is.
>>
>> If it was just a task used by tasksel, I'd be happy. The connotation of
>> at least, completely unnecessary.
>>
>> tasksel doesn't need anything in the Packages file, so why do we still
>> retain Priority: in debian/control other than for Priority: required?
>> The list of standard packages could just live in /usr/share/tasksel/ -
>> only one place to change it.
>>
>> Why is it anywhere else?
>
> As far as I know, Priority has the following non-cosmetic uses:
> - d-i installs everything >= important by default.
> - tasksel's standard task, selected by default in d-i, additionally
> installs packages with priority standard.

It seems there is *no* tasksel's standard task:
=====
luca@gismo:~$ tasksel --list
u desktop Debian desktop environment
u web-server Web server
u print-server Print server
u database-server SQL database
u dns-server DNS Server
u file-server File server
u mail-server Mail server
u ssh-server SSH server
u laptop Laptop
u manual manual package selection

luca@gismo:~$ apt-cache policy tasksel
tasksel:
Installed: 3.05
Candidate: 3.05
Version table:
*** 3.05 0
990 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

luca@gismo:~$
=====

So I stand corrected by myself for the installation tests I did last
week [1]. And in this vision, what d-i shows as a tasksel's "standard"
tasks is actually not a tasksel's task at all. Is this a bug?

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/87pqi1ciqk.fsf%40gismo.pca.it>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Neil Williams 10-17-2011 04:38 PM

Tasksel's "standard" task (was: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional)

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:55:09 +0200
Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:48:11 +0200, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > Neil Williams wrote:

> >> If it was just a task used by tasksel, I'd be happy. The connotation of
> >> at least, completely unnecessary.
> >>
> >> tasksel doesn't need anything in the Packages file, so why do we still
> >> retain Priority: in debian/control other than for Priority: required?
> >> The list of standard packages could just live in /usr/share/tasksel/ -
> >> only one place to change it.
> >>
> >> Why is it anywhere else?
> >
> > As far as I know, Priority has the following non-cosmetic uses:
> > - d-i installs everything >= important by default.
> > - tasksel's standard task, selected by default in d-i, additionally
> > installs packages with priority standard.
>
> It seems there is *no* tasksel's standard task:

Hmm, thanks for checking, Luca.

> So I stand corrected by myself for the installation tests I did last
> week [1]. And in this vision, what d-i shows as a tasksel's "standard"
> tasks is actually not a tasksel's task at all. Is this a bug?

I suspect it's tasksel or d-i doing stuff on the Priority:, so maybe
it's time to export that list from Priority: into a dedicated task.

Is there any other reason to have Priority: standard in debian/control?

In that process, the actual packages can be moved around and it would
make it easier for people like Emdebian to provide a replacement
standard task.

--

Neil Williams