-   -   MUA's vs. local mail (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/588503-muas-vs-local-mail.html)

Ivan Shmakov 10-17-2011 09:15 AM

MUA's vs. local mail

[…]

> I do know many of the GUI MUAs are incomplete jack-jobs that fail to
> add a handler for local system folders (i.e. were only partially
> ported to Linux). I am not sure which would be the better aproach to
> deal with this deficiency.

Recommends: dovecot-imapd, and let the MUA's use imap://[::1]/
by default?

Please also note that dovecot-imapd is perfectly runnable even
without special privileges, and even without a real network
socket (a pipe is just fine.) In particular, my Gnus/Emacs
setup has the following server's definition:

(nnimap "Maildir"
(nnimap-stream shell)
;; FIXME: use nnimap-shell-program here
(imap-shell-program
("MAIL=maildir:"$HOME"/Maildir /usr/lib/dovecot/imap")))

That way, Gnus is also unaware of my system's password.

Contrary to having a MUA access local mail directly, Dovecot
will cache certain headers, thus allowing the list of messages
to be prepared rather quickly. For the larger mailboxes, there
may be a really huge difference between using Maildir + Dovecot
vs. a MUA that accesses a Unix mbox file directly.

--
FSF associate member #7257