Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Schrober

Default DEP-5 for Upstream

Hi,

I've read from time to time that DEP-5 should also work for upstream. Since
SPDX looks to complicated to have it stored in the upstream repos, I wanted to
use the more simpler, but still extreme useful DEP-5 in a license file. Is it
ok to use DEP-5 for a LICENSE file and how should it be changed? For example
the "On Debian systems, the full text of the GNU General Public..." part
sounds wrong for an upstream version.

Btw. when is the next debian-policy release that should include DEP-5.. and
therefore provide a good url for the VERSIONED_FORMAT_URL?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Joey Hess

Schrober wrote:
> I've read from time to time that DEP-5 should also work for upstream. Since
> SPDX looks to complicated to have it stored in the upstream repos, I wanted to
> use the more simpler, but still extreme useful DEP-5 in a license file. Is it
> ok to use DEP-5 for a LICENSE file and how should it be changed? For example
> the "On Debian systems, the full text of the GNU General Public..." part
> sounds wrong for an upstream version.

I use DEP-5 this way for my software. I use a wording like this to
meet both use cases:

License: GPL-3+
The full text of version 3 of the GPL is distributed as doc/GPL in
this package's source, or in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3 on
Debian systems.

--
see shy jo

Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Charles Plessy

> Btw. when is the next debian-policy release that should include DEP-5.. and
> therefore provide a good url for the VERSIONED_FORMAT_URL?

Dear Franz,

The final URL for DEP 5 is being decided in the following discussion:

http://bugs.debian.org/640737

If nothing changes it will be http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

Debian Developers who think that this URL is good and consensual can second the
proposition in the bug, and review the other issues opened for the DEP in the
debian-policy package. Getting reviews and seconds is one of the current
bottlenecks.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=debian-policy;include=subject%3Acopyright-format

I think that for version 1.0, the syntax is very unlikely to change. We
reached a consensus that was not challenged for monthes and we have stable
and tested parsers. So in the end, if you use an unversionned URL,
it will be fine.

The URL chosen in #640737 will probably available by the next upload of the
Policy, but that upload is decided taking other factors than the DEP into
account, so I can not give a timeline, as I am not a maintainer of the Policy.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan