Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Norbert Preining

Default aptitude weirdness wrt upgrades and keeps

Hi everyone, esp aptitude masters,

how can I teach aptitude to not be sooo incredible stupid?
In the current transition to gnome3 (or it seems) I press
to update all packages, and then it suggests me to remove 30 or
so packages.

I know this game, normally I have to press "." a few times to come
to the solution that simply keeps some of the packages at the current
level.

Well, normally it is a few times ".", no with gnome3, I stopped after
100 (hundred!) times pressing ".", and still aptitude does not suggest
the simple solution to keep all those gnome3 packages on their current
state. And every time I press "." it takes more and more time.

That cannot be the intended behaviour? Or is there any way to
teach aptitude that aptitude orders the solutions depending on
the number of removals?

Is there such an option? And if not, can we please please have one?

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
The story goes that I first had the idea for THHGTTG while
lying drunk in a field in Innsbruck (or `Spain' as the BBC
TV publicity department authorititively has it, probably
because it's easier to spell).
--- Foreward by DNA.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Paul Wise

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Is there such an option? And if not, can we please please have one?

aptitude safe-upgrade has been around for years.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Norbert Preining

Hi Paul,

On Fr, 14 Okt 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Is there such an option? And if not, can we please please have one?
>
> aptitude safe-upgrade has been around for years.

Not a solution for the interactive mode, or am I wrong?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Paul Wise

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Not a solution for the interactive mode, or am I wrong?

Not AFAICT, I only read the documentation rather than the code though.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Miles Bader

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>> Not a solution for the interactive mode, or am I wrong?
>
> Not AFAICT, I only read the documentation rather than the code though.

Kinda surprising, actually; this has long been the #1 most horrible
thing about aptitude, and one about which there's been plenty of
complaining...

[With the normal "U" command, for my typical usage, aptitude seems to
choose the worst possible solution about 98% of the time.]

-Miles

--
Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a
man's head.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Norbert Preining

On Fr, 14 Okt 2011, Miles Bader wrote:
> [With the normal "U" command, for my typical usage, aptitude seems to
> choose the worst possible solution about 98% of the time.]

Agreed on that.

What is the most typical scenario sid people are hitting,
transitions in progress, and that is solved by keeping packages.
That aptitude (interactive) does not offer easily.

Testing and stable shold anyway not hit by that, since "U" shold
*always* work without intervention.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Fabian Greffrath

how can I teach aptitude to not be sooo incredible stupid?
In the current transition to gnome3 (or it seems) I press

Maybe experimental (where gnome3 currently resides) has the wrong
priority set in /etc/apt/preferences? Mine looks like this and I
regularly upgrade (through apt-get, though) without any problems:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 901

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 501

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101

- Fabian

Old 10-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Marvin Renich

* Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> [111014 03:04]:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> >> Not a solution for the interactive mode, or am I wrong?
> >
> > Not AFAICT, I only read the documentation rather than the code though.
>
> Kinda surprising, actually; this has long been the #1 most horrible
> thing about aptitude, and one about which there's been plenty of
> complaining...
>
> [With the normal "U" command, for my typical usage, aptitude seems to
> choose the worst possible solution about 98% of the time.]

You can use "aptitude safe-upgrade --visual-preview", though this is not
particularly convenient when already running the aptitude cua.

You can also check out "Aptitude::Always-Use-Safe-Resolver".

I, too, find that the priorities given to the resolver's solutions and
the action I intended are often quite disparate. The above remedies can
be helpful, but are not real solutions.

...Marvin

Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Jarek Kamiński

Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
>>> Is there such an option? And if not, can we please please have one?

>> aptitude safe-upgrade has been around for years.

> Not a solution for the interactive mode, or am I wrong?

You can use aptitude --safe-resolver.

--
pozdr(); // Jarek

Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Norbert Preining

On Fr, 14 Okt 2011, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> priority set in /etc/apt/preferences? Mine looks like this and I

Good point. Strange enough I have a *very* strange /etc/apt/preferences
file that I don't remember to have *EVER* created:
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Mind that I am running on amd64!!! SO I have no idea how that ended
up in my /etc/apt/preferences??

BUT, also this didn't help at all, so it was not a solution.
But thanks for the suggestion.