Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Michelle Konzack

Default Shared /usr over NFS, - how does this work?

Hello Wouter and *,

since August 2011 I run an Experimanental-Cloud with 20 IBM eServe x345
and 40 IBM eServer x335... Enough machines to play with it.

Since 3 weeks I now have my two 400V/32A/3P CEE Wallets for my two
Severracks in my office.

> "Provide a simple way of mounting almost the entire system read-only and
> share it between multiple hosts to save maintenance and space," is what
> that wiki page says, but I'm not convinced. In theory, you can already
> share /usr between multiple systems today; but nobody does it, because

I was thinking on this, but HOW does this work with the config files?

Is thre a Debian HOWTO which descibe this?

If software change and the old config is not more compatibel with the
nw binaries, your system could become instable... and runing a Cluster
or a Cloud with a view dozen, some 100 or 1000 Servers will bring down
our entired system.

Is thee a HOWTO how to solv this?

However, all of my systems have

/dev/sda1 1000 MByte Rescue
/dev/sda2 xxxx MByte swap
/dev/sda3 10000 MByte /tmp

/dev/sda5 2000 MByte /Production_1
/dev/sda6 3000 MByte /Production_1_var_log

/dev/sda7 2000 MByte /Production_2
/dev/sda8 3000 MByte /Production_2_var_log

So, normal I run "Production 1" (mounted as /) and have always a seond
system too bootup. If something goes realy wired, I a boot "Rescue".

Now I can update the Second (not runing) production system without any
hassless

> - Keeping your software on a central fileserver introduces a single
> point of failure that you don't have if you don't do the central
> fileserver thing

Yeah! If it goes down, you have no network anymore...

Iprefer this fileserver in an heavyly secured environment and sync my
production systems from there if needed.

> - Moving more off / and into /usr does not free you of the need to
> synchronize stuff across your systems (you have less to synchronize if
> you only need to do /etc, but that's actually the hardest part to
> synchronize)

FullACK

My "rsync" on /usr take only 10-20 seconds per server (the sync server
has 10GE interfaces to the internal switch and the serves are hanging
with there second Eth on this switch)

> - Frankly, in today's world, the amount of storage you need for your
> software often pales in comparison to the amount of storage you need
> for your data. I've rarely had to maintain a network of more than just
> a few systems that had more than 10G worth of software locally
> installed. When was the last time you bought a 10G hard disk? If
> you're still having / be on local disk, you're still going to need a
> local hard disk. Let's say you can still find a 146G SAS disk
> somewhere -- that leaves you with 136G of wasted space anyway.

:-D

In some of my systems I use 4 GByte CF-Cards with an SATA/PATA adapter
because I do not need more Diskspace (my master DNS Server is such case)

> I think it's a bad idea.

;-)

> The volume of a pizza of thickness a and radius z can be described by
> the following formula:
>
> pi zz a

LOL

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems@tdnet Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3 Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl Tel mobil: +49-177-9351947
Germany Tel mobil: +33-6-61925193 (France)

USt-ID: DE 278 049 239