-   -   Getting rid of wxwidgets2.6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/586548-getting-rid-wxwidgets2-6-a.html)

Olly Betts 10-12-2011 04:45 AM

Getting rid of wxwidgets2.6

Currently we have wxwidgets2.6 and wxwidgets2.8 in the archive. We've
had wxwidgets2.8 since lenny and it's now much more widely used than
2.6 in the archive. Upstream 2.6 no longer really gets any attention
(the last release was in 2007), while 2.8 had a point release about 6
months ago.

So I believe it's time to migrate the remaining wxwidgets2.6-dependent
packages to wxwidgets2.8 and get rid of wxwidgets2.6. If you maintain a
package which depends on one of the wxwidgets2.6 packages, please at
least scan through the rest of this mail.

Further Reasons to do this now
==============================

It seems wxwidgets3.0 is approaching (an upstream dev says "beginning of
the next year" in a fairly recent blog post at
http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2011/07/292-and-plans-for-future.html
though they're also apparently still merging substantial new pieces of
code). We can't realistically support three major versions of wx at
once, and there are a number of newer applications which already need a
newer wx than 2.8, so there's going to be a strong demand for wx 3.0 to
be packaged when it finally gets released.

There are 6 Zack-months (that's about 8 in human months) to the proposed
freeze date for wheezy, so if we start now there's a realistic
possibility of having this done in time for wheezy.

Action so far
=============

I migrated survex-aven (the wx-dependent package I co-maintain) to 2.8
before the squeeze release, so I'm at least practising what I preach!

I've been getting wxwidgets2.8 back into shape over the past few days -
there's an updated version of 2.8.10 in unstable with the RC bugs fixed
and low hanging fruit plucked - it's built successfully for all
supported architectures and is now just waiting to age enough to
transition.

I've also updated the packaging to the latest upstream release (2.8.12)
and picked the slightly more elevated fruit. I'll be uploading this to
experimental shortly - although it's nominally a minor version bump,
Torsten Landschoff noted in #586129 that:

However, there are also API changes at least in wxPython (some flags are
now passed differently for example) so I am not sure if one would want
to upload a new package right away.

(Torsten: Can you recall the details?)

This suggests caution is wise, as does the size of the diff between
2.8.10 and 2.8.12:

2029 files changed, 117347 insertions(+), 69829 deletions(-)

Quite a lot of that seems to be in generated files, but still...

The Plan
========

I've gone through all the reverse dependencies of the 2.6 packages and
put the information on the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/WxWidgets/Transition2.6to2.8

I'm going to start working through the list, but it's hard to test
applications I don't actually use, especially for the Python ones
where use of a removed or changed API won't get spotted until the
code path it is in is used. So please help out by testing any
applications you maintain or have a particular interest in. If
you are looking at a package, please just note your name and the
date in brackets after it to avoid duplication of effort.

Cheers,
Olly

Olly Betts 10-19-2011 04:35 AM

Getting rid of wxwidgets2.6

I wrote:
> Currently we have wxwidgets2.6 and wxwidgets2.8 in the archive. We've
> had wxwidgets2.8 since lenny and it's now much more widely used than
> 2.6 in the archive. Upstream 2.6 no longer really gets any attention
> (the last release was in 2007), while 2.8 had a point release about 6
> months ago.
>
> So I believe it's time to migrate the remaining wxwidgets2.6-dependent
> packages to wxwidgets2.8 and get rid of wxwidgets2.6.

We've made good progress already with 6 packages fixed and uploaded and
a couple more pending uploads. Thanks to everyone who's helped things
along. I get the feeling this migration is pushing on an open door,
and it's looking like it could realistically be done before the end of
2011.

I'm going to have to be less active on this for a while, but we've
reached the point where all the packages which need changing to be able
remove wxwidgets2.6 now have a bug filed, so it's mostly a matter of
waiting for these to get attention, then addressing what remains with
NMUs.

There are also 13 packages which will need to drop an alternative
dependency on python-wxgtk2.6 at some point, but which don't have bugs
filed yet. I'll file wishlist bugs for these if I get a chance, but
please just go ahead and remove the alternative dependency on
python-wxgtk2.6 next time you upload. If python-wxgtk2.8 is installed
these packages will all currently use it in preference (unless the user
has changed the wx.pth alternative) so they'll all already be running
with 2.8 for most users.

If you want to check the status, see the wiki page:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/WxWidgets/Transition2.6to2.8

I've also user-tagged the bugs, and there's a link to that on there.

2.8.12.1-2 is now in unstable. I'd intended to target experimental (as
I had with 2.8.12.1-1), but slipped up. However since putting it in
experimental was mostly just being cautious, so I'm intending to let it
stay in unstable, and deal with any issues there. We'll uncover them
sooner at least.

Once 2.6 is gone, I'll try to get 2.9.x packaged and into experimental
(if I've not lost all enthusiasm by then) so that at least the various
new packages which require it can also go into experimental, and we can
be more prepared for when 3.0 finally emerges.

Cheers,
Olly

Olly Betts 10-19-2011 06:08 AM

Getting rid of wxwidgets2.6

At Paul Wise's suggestion, here is dd-list output for the packages affected
by this change (excluding those whose maintainers have already responded).

This list includes four packages I missed before - three because they
build-depend on libwxgtk2.8-dev|libwxgtk2.6-dev (I only looked at run-time
dependencies before and the buildds will always build these against 2.8),
and xaralx which is non-free (I only looked at main before).

Cheers,
Olly

Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net>
freedink-dfarc (U)