Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Ivan Shmakov

Default / vs. /usr vs. udev(7)

[…]

> And then there is the big argument in favour of it: booting without
> /usr is becoming more and more difficult. The two current solutions
> for this adopted by udev and the related tools are both suboptimal:
> waiting in a loop for /usr to appear can fail due to the timeout (and
> I wonder when we will hit the first deadlock), and moving even more
> stuff from /usr to / can work only up to a point.

I don't seem to understand why is this supposed to change as we
shuffle the things around. The problem is that we currently are
starting udev from /, which is mounted from initramfs. Should
we move, we'd have to mount /usr from initramfs instead.

Now, if we're to keep udev starting /before/ /usr is mounted,
we'd have to start udev from initramfs.

OTOH, if this order isn't to be kept, why not just simply allow
udev to be started after /usr is mounted, while retaining /
vs. /usr distinction we currently use?

--
FSF associate member #7257