Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM
José Luis Segura Lucas

Default Reply to a RFP on the right way

Hi.

I'm trying to contribute to Debian with a new package. I have
searched on the BTS and found that the library I want to package has
an open RFP process [1].

I'm not new at all with Debian packaging, but it is my first
contribution to Debian project. I want to know what is the right
process I must follow to package that library:

* Answer to the RFP?

* Open an ITP?

In addition, if you follow the link you will see that the library is
called "jsoncpp". What is the right name I should choose for my
package? I intend that libjsoncpp is appropriate, because I suppose
that all the library packages on Debian are named lib*. Is this
true?

Best regards and thanks in advance.

[1]

Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Arno Töll

Hello José Luis,

On 09.10.2011 14:08, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> * Answer to the RFP?
> * Open an ITP?

not quite but almost. Please answer to the bug letting the reporter of
the bug know about your intention to package the library.

Moreover, please take over ownership of the bug and change it's title to
"ITP: jsoncpp -- An easy to use, well made C++ json library". Please see
[1] to learn how to do that.

> In addition, if you follow the link you will see that the library is
> called "jsoncpp". What is the right name I should choose for my package?
> I intend that libjsoncpp is appropriate, because I suppose that all the
> library packages on Debian are named lib*. Is this true?

Not all zlib1g is a counter example (although that's a very old library
following a naming scheme not used anymore). Libraries have a very
strict naming schema, typically the name is lib<libraryname><soversion.
Please use the following hacky script to determine the correct name of
your library:

objdump -p /path/to/libfoo-bar.so.1.2.3 |
sed -n -e's/^[[:space:]]*SONAME[[:space:]]*//p' |
sed -e's/([0-9]).so./1-/; s/.so.//'

Also, our policy has a lot of resources about libraries [2], and there
is a library packaging guide [3]. Some people consider the latter not
really helpful though.

Finally, please note a library is not the best package to start with
Debian. Don't hesitate to do it nonetheless, but packaging (or rather:
maintaining) a library is challenging.

[1] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html
[3] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC
GnuPG Key-ID: 0x9D80F36D

Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Adam Borowski

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 02:08:30PM +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to contribute to Debian with a new package. I have
> searched on the BTS and found that the library I want to package has
> an open RFP process.
>
> I'm not new at all with Debian packaging, but it is my first
> contribution to Debian project. I want to know what is the right
> process I must follow to package that library:
>
> * Answer to the RFP?
> * Open an ITP?

Please retitle the RFP to ITP, and set the owner to yourself:
mail control@bugs.debian.org
retitle 617325 ITP: libjsoncpp -- An easy to use, well made C++ json library
owner 617325 !
kthxbye

Of course, a human-readable comment to the bug log itself would be nice,
too.

--
1KB // Yo momma uses IPv4!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Karl Goetz

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 14:08:30 +0200
José Luis Segura Lucas <josel.segura@gmx.es> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to contribute to Debian with a new package. I have
> searched on the BTS and found that the library I want to package has
> an open RFP process [1].
>
> I'm not new at all with Debian packaging, but it is my first
> contribution to Debian project.

If you are new to debian packaging, you might find the mentors helpful.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/
irc://irc.debian.org/debian-mentors

thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au

Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Steve Langasek

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 02:15:42PM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:

> > In addition, if you follow the link you will see that the library is
> > called "jsoncpp". What is the right name I should choose for my package?
> > I intend that libjsoncpp is appropriate, because I suppose that all the
> > library packages on Debian are named lib*. Is this true?

> Not all zlib1g is a counter example (although that's a very old library
> following a naming scheme not used anymore). Libraries have a very
> strict naming schema, typically the name is lib<libraryname><soversion.
> Please use the following hacky script to determine the correct name of
> your library:

> objdump -p /path/to/libfoo-bar.so.1.2.3 |
> sed -n -e's/^[[:space:]]*SONAME[[:space:]]*//p' |
> sed -e's/([0-9]).so./1-/; s/.so.//'

To clarify: the custom is to use the upstream name for the source package,
and to name the binary package after the library soname. You don't want to
change the source package name every time the upstream soname changes.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
José Luis Segura Lucas

Thanks, you are the second that make me that suggestion, I already
followed it. Thanks to you too :-)