Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Raphael Geissert

Default Proposed MBF: packages defining useless RPATH's

Hello everybody,

[Please respect the Reply-To header]

More than one month ago I posted a list[1] of packages defining useless
rpath's on amd64 based on an archive wide lintian check.
I just finished an other archive wide lintian check in order to track the
progress made on the subject. Here are the results:

After improving the regex used to match the number of packages defining a
useless[2] rpath running it on the previous check results returns a number of
456 unique binary packages. While based on the new check results it returns
449.

Since this is very small progress I'd like to start MBF on such packages with
a severity:normal which will be available at[3], with the hope of reducing
the number of packages defining useless rpaths.

If no one objects I'll start MBF within a week or, if encouraged to and with
no objection, probably during the week.

As usually any kind of feedback is welcomed.

[1]http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/123122
[2]Useless rpaths such as /lib, /usr/lib:/lib, /usr/lib, /lib64:/lib, etc
[3]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=atomo64%40gmail.com;tag=rpath-amd64

Kind regards,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Julien Cristau

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 19:38:55 -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> If no one objects I'll start MBF within a week or, if encouraged to and with
> no objection, probably during the week.

Do we really need a mass bug filing for every single lintian check out
there? I don't think this achieves anything (these rpaths might be
useless, but they're also harmless)...

Cheers,
Julien

Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 19:38:55 -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>
> > If no one objects I'll start MBF within a week or, if encouraged to and with
> > no objection, probably during the week.
> >
> Do we really need a mass bug filing for every single lintian check out
> there? I don't think this achieves anything (these rpaths might be
> useless, but they're also harmless)...

+1

MBF is important when you plan to make an NMU campaign to correct all the
packages... but just reporting the problem is useless because lintian does
that very well already. And if lintian doesn't, then you can invest the
time that you put in this MBF in a lintian patch. :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog