Old 08-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Adam Borowski

Default "make bootable" tools for different architectures (was: Please use Architectu linux-any)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:27:40PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
> > aboot
>
> Why this one? The Architecture: any parts are generic tools used to create
> alpha boot blocks to images in an architecture-independent manner (e.g.,
> when generating bootable CD images from a machine of a different
> architecture). There's nothing Linux-specific about that at all; it may not
> be high on your list of things to port, but it's a porting issue
> nonetheless, not a "strong Linux dependency".

Same for syslinux which is currently Arch: amd64 i386.

I got hurt by the lack of syslinux on armel -- I could prepare everything
else on the filesystem in question but had to ask some random guy to run
syslinux for me. Granted, it was on the DebConf where there wasn't exactly
a dearth of people with amd64/i386 Debian installations, and at home I'd
have another machine with non-wedged boot, but still, "you can do this on
architecture X instead" is not a good argument to me.

(N900 can emulate an usb mass storage device that you can boot another
machine from.)

--
1KB // Yo momma uses IPv4!