Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Michael Bramer

Default dynamic Text in package descriptions

Hello

If you look a the control file from java-common-0.40, you found
something like this:

! Package: default-jre
! Architecture: any
! Depends: default-jre-headless (= ${binary:Version}), ${jre}${jre:version},
! ${miscepends}
! Provides: ${jrerovides}
! This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible
! runtime recommended for the ${jre:arch} architecture,
! which is ${jre} for ${jre:arch}.

I my optinion the variables in the description are a problem:
- the 'arch' is in the control file of the package, this information
don't need in the description.
- One package with the same version should be have the same description.
(Go to http://packages.debian.org/sid/default-jre:
'Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime

This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible runtime
recommended for the alpha architecture, which is openjdk-6-jre for
alpha.'
- This make extra load for the translation of this description.

I don't find something about this in the debian policy?!

Comments?

Gruss
Grisu

Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Jonathan Wiltshire

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 02:11:27PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> - This make extra load for the translation of this description.

It does and for that reason I'm including debian-i18n in this discussion.
For the record I support the idea that dynamic descriptions should be
discouraged unless there is a sound technical reason.

I also recommend to the package maintainers that they take a trip through
debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org to improve this particular description
more generally.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC 74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Jonathan Wiltshire