Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 AM
compn

Default mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.

mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.

it doesnt help that debian is using that name as a package:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mplayer/news/20110817T173341Z.html

debian and uoti are setting themselves (and us) up for explaining to
users which version is better.
why each version is better.
which version they are using when reporting bugs.
why 'we dont have mencoder anymore?'
'why isnt gmplayer installed with mplayer2?'
etc

maybe i'll just go create the debian2 operating system or the google2
search engine. brilliant!

-compn

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 23:56 -0400, compn wrote:
> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
>
> it doesnt help that debian is using that name as a package:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mplayer/news/20110817T173341Z.html
>
> debian and uoti are setting themselves (and us) up for explaining to
> users which version is better.
> why each version is better.
> which version they are using when reporting bugs.
> why 'we dont have mencoder anymore?'
> 'why isnt gmplayer installed with mplayer2?'
> etc
>
> maybe i'll just go create the debian2 operating system or the google2
> search engine. brilliant!

Or you could rip off the name of a standard Windows program. Oh wait,
you already did that.

Ben.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 AM
"Andrew O. Shadoura"

Hello,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 05:39:28 +0100
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> > maybe i'll just go create the debian2 operating system or the
> > google2 search engine. brilliant!

> Or you could rip off the name of a standard Windows program. Oh wait,
> you already did that.

Actually, both mplayer and mplayer2 once were the names of the standard
Windows programs

--
WBR, Andrew

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Adrian Knoth

On 08/19/11 05:56, compn wrote:

> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
[..]
> debian and uoti are setting themselves (and us) up for explaining to
> users which version is better.

While this is always the problem with forks, be assured you are not
alone.

There are jackd1 and jackd2, and these are just two independent
implementations of the jack API. Users think because two is lager than
one, jackd2 must be the successor of jackd1, which is wrong.

We have a FAQ on that (<http://jackaudio.org/jack12n>), maybe you want
one, too.

I always say "Think of 'number two', not 'version two'. It's just an
arbitrary enumeration."

HTH

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Christoph Egger

Hi!

compn <tempn@twmi.rr.com> writes:
> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
>
> it doesnt help that debian is using that name as a package:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mplayer/news/20110817T173341Z.html

I don't see any mplayer2 mentioned in that link btw apart from the
version number. are you implying mplayer should never ever use a digit
'2' in it's versioning?

Regards

Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857 70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer

Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Reinhard Tartler

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:54:32 (CEST), Christoph Egger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> compn <tempn@twmi.rr.com> writes:
>> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
>>
>> it doesnt help that debian is using that name as a package:
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mplayer/news/20110817T173341Z.html
>
> I don't see any mplayer2 mentioned in that link btw apart from the
> version number. are you implying mplayer should never ever use a digit
> '2' in it's versioning?

cf. http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mplayer2.html

We ship both an 'mplayer' and an 'mplayer2' package.

Cheers,

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:56:41PM -0400, compn wrote:
> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.

So you think Debian should rename the package to confuse people
even more?

Or is there some other reason you mailed this to the Debian list?

I suggest you take it up with the people creating the fork.

Kurt

Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 PM
compn

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:51:15 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:56:41PM -0400, compn wrote:
>> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
>
>So you think Debian should rename the package to confuse people
>even more?

no, i think 'iceweasel' didnt confuse anyone...

>Or is there some other reason you mailed this to the Debian list?

i hoped debian had some rule about it but i guess not.

>I suggest you take it up with the people creating the fork.

it took him months to stop using 'mplayer' as his project name.

thanks for the insight.

-compn

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM
compn

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:51:18 +0200, Adrian Knoth wrote:
>On 08/19/11 05:56, compn wrote:
>
>> mplayer2 is a very poor fork name used to confuse users.
>[..]
>> debian and uoti are setting themselves (and us) up for explaining to
>> users which version is better.
>
>While this is always the problem with forks, be assured you are not
>alone.
>
>There are jackd1 and jackd2, and these are just two independent
>implementations of the jack API. Users think because two is lager than
>one, jackd2 must be the successor of jackd1, which is wrong.
>
>We have a FAQ on that (<http://jackaudio.org/jack12n>), maybe you want
>one, too.
>
>I always say "Think of 'number two', not 'version two'. It's just an
>arbitrary enumeration."
>

>HTH

it does help, thank you .
i know to not hope for better outcomes in the future!

-compn