Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Steve McIntyre

Default Links to the sources for services (was mentors.debian.net runs the debexpo code now)

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

>As a minor nitpick, can you add to the footer a link to the code?
>
>Many Debian services could benefit from more prominent footer links to
>the code, to encourage "patches are welcome" habits and to make it clear
>that the code for all our services is available. (yes, in this specific
>case I know that the availability of debexpo code is mentioned at
>http://wiki.debian.org/Debexpo , but making it more readily available
>wouldn't hurt, would it?)

Very good point, and something that we should push for elsewhere.

/me goes to add such a link to cdimage-search.debian.org...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'

Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Jonathan Wiltshire

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:32:55AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >
> >As a minor nitpick, can you add to the footer a link to the code?
> >
> >Many Debian services could benefit from more prominent footer links to
> >the code, to encourage "patches are welcome" habits and to make it clear
> >that the code for all our services is available. (yes, in this specific
> >case I know that the availability of debexpo code is mentioned at
> >http://wiki.debian.org/Debexpo , but making it more readily available
> >wouldn't hurt, would it?)
>
> Very good point, and something that we should push for elsewhere.

#638059 is open against the PTS for this; maybe it should be reassigned and
generalised.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC 74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:59:01PM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > Very good point, and something that we should push for elsewhere.
>
> #638059 is open against the PTS for this; maybe it should be
> reassigned and generalised.

I've been routinely nitpicking about^W^Wmentioning this on various
services and I'm not the only one, so many instances have been fixed
already. (And shame on me for the PTS being still bugged, I should have
fixed that myself long time ago.)

That said, yes, the above bug could be generalized. But what is needed
more than the BTS administratrivia (which is useful nonetheless), is
actually making an inventory of which services lack the footer, matching
them with patches that services maintainers can easily apply, as
Giovanni has done with #638059.

Any help with that is more than welcome!

Cheers.
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere