-   -   Docs/examples on how to package a PostgreSQL needing app (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/563595-docs-examples-how-package-postgresql-needing-app.html)

Olivier Berger 08-12-2011 01:11 PM

Docs/examples on how to package a PostgreSQL needing app

Hi.

I cannot seem to find any packaging guidelines an how to deal with a
PostgreSQL database management in a package of a web app requiring a PG
DB.

More specifically, if usual installation directives mention modifying of
pg_hba.conf, how should one translate that into Debian packaging scripts
actions ?

Is modifying pg_hba.conf in a package's config script via ucf an
option ?

Is there a better place to ask or learn ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER (Debian developer)
http://www.olivierberger.com/weblog/

Bernd Zeimetz 08-12-2011 06:27 PM

On 08/12/2011 03:11 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I cannot seem to find any packaging guidelines an how to deal with a
> PostgreSQL database management in a package of a web app requiring a PG
> DB.
>
> More specifically, if usual installation directives mention modifying of
> pg_hba.conf, how should one translate that into Debian packaging scripts
> actions ?

If your application runs on the same host as postgres, there is no need to
modify pg_hba.conf as local users will be authenticated with ident - all you
need to to is to create the role for them in postgres.

If it runs somewhere else, you can't modify the remote pg_hba.conf.

To add new databases (and roles....) to postgres, look into dbconfig-common.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F